For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
knotaprincess's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 26th, 2019 5:35 PM

Someone else with the same number?

so i have had my phone # since before i was 16 and i am 30 now. the past few months i have been getting both calls and text messages for someone named dean. most are just telemarketing calls and messages. and i have blocked the calls as they come in, however the text messages have been the more irritating ones lately. i have been looking into how to stop it, besides just blocking all the numbers (which their are several now) and in doing so i used a reverse phone # lookup site that says my number is registered to a d- c-. It wont give me the name unless i pay for the sites service but i am assuming its the dean i keep getting soliciting messages for. is there any way to fix this? i have had this number so long i refuse to change it.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

No, no one else has your number, only you. Pay no attention to those reverse lookup sites. Now it is possible because of number spoofing for any telemarketer or scammer to make their calls or texts look like they are coming from any number including yours but they aren’t actually using your number.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Hi I am getting 5-15 calls a week from all types of vendors/solicitors/creditors etc - always looking for a particular person. When I tell them that I have had my number for over 15 years and to please not call me again, that same company uses a different number and calls me again - especially Visa/MC and other CC and creditor type companies. They even ask for this person's spouse. I feel as if this person may have (inadvertently?) put down the wrong phone number to reach them on something - like maybe it's one or two numbers off. The number of calls I get particularly for him is unreal and from a huge variety of callers. I have searched for someone with his (less than popular last) name and found someone and reached out to them and they immediately responded but think they may have been hacked too. I want to avoid all robo/spam/sales calls on my cell but the number I get and ignore has now increased to 20-30 a day and it's a nuisance to get them and be interrupted - even if for a second to see it is yet another number i don't recognize. Per AT&T's customer service suggestion, I am contemplating adding the At&T protect to my phone to stop these but will that really stop more calls than the other spam alert apps like Mr. Number? I don't want to put my number and information out in one more location and risk more calls. I am registered with DO NOT CALL registry as of 2006 and have updated it every year. I have also reported the numbers that have called me more than 3x but it is time consuming and doesn't seem to help....Any suggestions to make it stop save changing my cell number?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have also installed AT&T call protect and I hate to say it but it really doesn't stop all the robo calls. It has been helpful for me at least in automatically blocking known spam calls or at least notifying me that a call is spam risk and I can report spam numbers that do call and block them. I still keep getting calls for whoever this Dean person is and I try to answer and say they have the wrong number (sometimes Dean has creditors and such that call) but worse is the texts that I have to block about 'male enhancement' for poor Dean. I haven't been getting them as much lately because I'm pretty sure I have blocked every number in existence but it's just obnoxious. I'm fed up with the spam and robo calls and even the texts. Nothing you do, even the do not call list, will totally stop them all. I recommend AT&T call protect because it has helped me in small ways by auto-blocking known spam and allows me to report the calls as spam when they do come in. However I do suggest that as each spam call comes in you go and block the number manually from your phone as well as reporting it as spam. Doing that has cut down on the amount of spam calls I get. I went from a few spam calls a day to maybe one a day. Like I said though nothing completely stops the spam calls but this has at least helped reduce the amount of calls I get.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.