Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
philippemp31's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 5:56 AM

Refund available balance

My daugther has an AT&T plan. She's a student and will leave USA in a few days. The account still has 90€ in balance. The plan will end and the number be closes. How do I close the line and get refunded for the available balance on the account ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

No refunds.   Gophone is prepaid service, this is how all prepaid service works.  She has 3 weeks to use it up.  The only way to not lose it, is if she is coming back, is pay more to keep the account paid for 365 days.  

90 euro is equal to $100.80 US.  Which if she changes to a pay per use rate, is good for 365 days, or until the balance reaches $0. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@philippemp31 If it's a GoPhone there are no refunds.

How are you paying that account in Euros?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

There are no refunds, use it or lose it.   

BTW, this is how prepaid works, so be careful not to overpay.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L When you pay by credit card, the card holder does the conversion. So it is still paid in dollars but converted to euros for them.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

I Paid with my credit card. 

I don't know what a GoPhone is. She arrived in the US with her own mobile and went at AT&T to get a SIM card (a plan you say in the US).

I paid for her account to be refilled each month with my credit card and paid too much, 90$ left and she leaves in 3 weeks.

You mean I won't get refunded for these 90$ ?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

OK I understand this is kind of theft... Even if she goes back in the US the plan in France is so lower in price and unlimited that it is cheaper to use a French subscription in the US than a real US one, so I understand these 90$ are really left (though I don't know whether she has a GoPhone or not).

I also understand she should have used her French plan all along her stay in the US it would have been far cheaper for me !!!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@philippemp31 wrote:

OK I understand this is kind of theft... Even if she goes back in the US the plan in France is so lower in price and unlimited that it is cheaper to use a French subscription in the US than a real US one, so I understand these 90$ are really left (though I don't know whether she has a GoPhone or not).

I also understand she should have used her French plan all along her stay in the US it would have been far cheaper for me !!!

That depends on roaming agreements if it would be cheaper.  Some calls are charge at 3 bucks a minute.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Believe me, my French plan allows unlimited calls in the US and France, from both US and France (I'm only speaking about these 2 countries, but this also applies to all European countries) + SMS + MMS + 3Gb data/month (while in the US, it is 100Gb /month in France) for 15$ a month... SOmething you maybe don't know is it is incredibly expensive in the US to have a mobile phone compared to what it costs in France (probably one of the cheaper in Europe I must admit).

Anyway, thank you for all your assistance, my daughter is going to give it a try with ATT and eventually these 90$ will be lost, but I can't help myself on this.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@philippemp31 wrote:

I disagree, you chose to put on $100 (or more) on the account when you could have put down a lot less. Then didn't even use it.

It's like buying 2 liters of milk when you need 1 a half liter. You don't get a refund on that.

That's a completely different issue, but it sounds like that would have made more sense.

You could have had 6 months at your $15 a month rate! 

I really wouldn't waste the time trying to get a refund.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@philippemp31

We have forum members who travel and have reported it's cheaper to use a prepaid sim in many countries for a month than use ATT roaming service.  It isn't the case in every country.   I was in the Caribbean recently and the cell service is horribly expensive.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.