For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
2010ngojo's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, June 25th, 2017 6:48 PM

Porting a number to a new line?

Hi guys,

I've recently ported a number to a new line and I'm wondering what the AT&T representative needs from me to do so, other than the phone number itself and my other carrier's information.

The rep asked me for an IMEI number but I'm not sure why they need that if the phone number just needs to be ported over. Not to mention I have multiple devices I'll be alternating between. Do they need any device to be registered for each line, network, or something?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

First a redundancy.  Number = line.   I think you mean account.  

If you ported a number With phone reps, you just have to wait for the SIM card to come by mail.

You were asked for the IMEI to check the phone would be at least minimally compatible with ATT service.  

You can use any phone you want in the future by moving the SIM card. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I didn't have to wait for the sim to be mailed. I've ported the number and got the sim this same day.

I still don't understand why they need the IMEI. Don't they just have to port the number. So what if I gave an IMEI of a phone that isn't compatible with AT&T?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

If you give an IMEI for a phone that won't work, they should tell you so.  It also may be to confirm the size SIM card needed.  They should always check.  The IMEI is not needed to port your number.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

As noted, the imei is not actually needed but to get your line provisioned correctly so that all services work, knowing the actual phone helps greatly. If you are going to be using multiple devices, you may find some things don't work until you update the imei.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.