For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Check for service outages
DelrayMan's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, December 20th, 2016 4:21 PM

Poor cell service in my home and neighborhood.

I consistently only have one or two bars in my house and seldom any better outside. It has been that way for a very long time and seems to be getting worse. I have an iPhone 6s and resent having to pay so much for cell service that is so lousy.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Why should someone have to pay extra to boost a signal in their home?  Verizon service works fine in my home in Pflugerville, TX but AT&T service is spotty.  When is AT&T going to improve the network?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@bklynias  So why are You with ATT?  Carriers aren’t responsible to change coverage to meet our individual needs.  In fact they may not be able to do so.  It’s entirely up to the customer to chose a network that works for them.  

If I had a clearly better choice, I would be out the door, but I don’t. 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

@bklynias wrote:

Why should someone have to pay extra to boost a signal in their home?  Verizon service works fine in my home in Pflugerville, TX but AT&T service is spotty.  When is AT&T going to improve the network?

The answer is easy.  If your AT&T signal is marginal at home, needing a boost, but the signal in other places, where you frequent, is excellent, then the booster makes sense, IMHO.

This is sort of true in my case, TMo has a MUCH faster and more consistent signal at my home (although I don't really "need" one for home), so if I wanted the best at home, I'd switch.  

But, since our rural coverage is good-great with AT&T (perhaps a bit better with Verizon, but not enough to switch, for us), particularly with a booster, I'm set, for now (TMo 600 may change this, over time).

Towers are a HUGE project, particularly new construction.  They have to find the location, obtain enough space there, possibly apply for some zoning permits, plan the towers, make sure they have sufficient fiber switching there, and more...

I'm sure they're actively trying to add coverage, but I'm also sure they're doing it more where there's "density", at least to some extent.  Say if they got 5 "domestic roaming" connections in an area, average/daily, it's probably hard for them to "justify" putting up a new tower there, at  least near-term.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Had four phones and service was mediocre when we got the new plan and keeps
getting worse. I like said originally, they say we are getting further away
from the tower as more people use the service in the area. Have a year left
on this plan, but may ditch AT&T and switch anyway.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

6 years ago

@Kelso561 Sure, I think you just have to decide, like @lizdance40 called out, which works better for your use, overall, which might mean switching carriers. 

There aren't really any contracts anymore, for the most part, but bringing your current device(s) may not work, particularly when moving to a (mostly) CDMA carrier, like Verizon.  Lots of cheap phones out there though, even if you just wanted to "test the waters" on another carrier, you can easily find a pretty nice new phone for 75-150 or so, and used for much less.

Most of us in the forums (even most employees here) advocate for a switch, if you simply don't get the service, when/where you need it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@bklynias   @Kelso561

I should add, please switch carefully.  Research, ask your neighbors, etc....

I used to have Verizon.  I switched for a lower price, but after 3 years, I thought I might have to switch back because service got worse.  Just to test, I put one phone back on Verizon and their service was no better than ATT.  Seemed both had deteriorated in 3 years.  So here I stay...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the advise, @lizdance40 Many people in my neighborhood have Verizon and no issues.  Its maddening that I am paying for a monthly services that does not work properly where I reside.  AT&T needs to do better and clearly they can if Verizon user can have proper service throughout my home why can't I?  The switch is looking very appealing and I have been with AT&T for nearly 2 decades.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

6 years ago

@bklynias  Maybe they really can’t.   It’s all about land and towers.  Many don’t want an ugly tower near them, so acquiring land for a cell tower may not be possible.  Even if they could, it would take years.  

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks! Good advice.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

We have horrible Cell service in Root Creek neighborhood in Milwaukee WI-Is there a solution?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.