Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Need help understanding your bill?
1duder1's profile

Contributor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, November 2nd, 2017 1:43 PM

Fake AT&T letter?

I received a letter today with the  AT&T Logo at the top. It was not addresses directly to me. It advised I go to a Equifax website and register for identity protection. I started too, then did a Google search. I seen a bunch of people saying its another scam. Of course there is no way to reach AT&T customer service to verify anything. So now I have to come here and use the unofficial AT&T rumor mill.

So... does anyone know anything about this?  Is there anyway to verify if its a legitimate letter from AT&T?

Thanks Duder

ACE - Expert

• 

14.3K Messages

7 years ago

@1duder1 wrote:

I received a letter today with the  AT&T Logo at the top. It was not addresses directly to me. It advised I go to a Equifax website and register for identity protection. I started too, then did a Google search. I seen a bunch of people saying its another scam. Of course there is no way to reach AT&T customer service to verify anything. So now I have to come here and use the unofficial AT&T rumor mill.

So... does anyone know anything about this?  Is there anyway to verify if its a legitimate letter from AT&T?

Thanks Duder

I don't know about the letter, but there was a large data breach at Equifax, so it is offering its credit monitoring service for free. 

Go to Equifax's website if that is something you want to do. Ignore the letter. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I received that letter too, Given that mine is a black and white logo I assumed it was fake. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Me too, via letter with logo on top left corner.  Yet I typed-in the last 6-digits of my social security number.  AT&T immediately said that I was frauded.  I knew right afterward that I should not have done that.  I checked my personal computer protection to see if I am safe.  

How do we talk to someone at AT&T?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@FearfulinMA Talk to ATT about what? The data breach was at Equifax, not ATT. Presuming the letter is legitimate, ATT is just warning their customers that their data may have been included in the breach. You say you entered your last 6 digits of your SSN. Entered that where? ATT has no such site but Equifax does. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

##-

Please type your reply above this line -## I used the website that AT&T
supplied in the letter- all on black/white with no colored AT&T logo.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

6 years ago

@FearfulinMA wrote:
##- -## I used the website that AT&T
supplied in the letter- all on black/white with no colored AT&T logo.

So I'll ask again, what would you want to talk to ATT about? If the letter is legitimate, the website in the letter was legitimate too. If the letter was fake, the website was probably fake too. If this was the website, it is legitimate: https://www.equifaxsecurity2017.com/. Many customers, myself included, got emails from ATT on the security breach. I presume those customers that have asked not to receive emails from ATT would get a letter in the mail.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Yes it was fake
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.