For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
auntbee77's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, October 13th, 2018 1:41 AM

Can't unlock Galaxy S7 bought from Costco

Over 2 years ago I paid full price for a new Samsung Galaxy S7 from Costco, model SM-G930A (ATT branded), without a contract.  It was advertised as unlocked.  I put my Straight Talk (ATT) SIM into it and its been working fine since then.  Due to reception problems at a place I regularly visit, I decided to switch to T-mobile.  Bought a T-mobile SIM card, inserted it and got the "Enter Network Unlock Code", so it's obviously locked. 

Tried the ATT device unlock online page. selected "not an AT&T customer", and got the message saying the phone is on another account.  For kicks, selected "I am an AT&T customer", typed in phone number and got the message "We're sorry. We can't unlock this device."

Called Straight Talk 3 times and they said they can't unlock it, check with ATT.  Called Samsung twice, no luck.  Called Costco, and they had no fix. Called AT&T and got the message that they cannot unlock the phone and that I should call 611 and talk to my service provider.  I'm stuck in a loop.

Help!

ACE - Expert

• 

14.2K Messages

6 years ago

@auntbee77 wrote:

Over 2 years ago I paid full price for a new Samsung Galaxy S7 from Costco, model SM-G930A (ATT branded), without a contract.  It was advertised as unlocked.  I put my Straight Talk (ATT) SIM into it and its been working fine since then.  Due to reception problems at a place I regularly visit, I decided to switch to T-mobile.  Bought a T-mobile SIM card, inserted it and got the "Enter Network Unlock Code", so it's obviously locked. 

Tried the ATT device unlock online page. selected "not an AT&T customer", and got the message saying the phone is on another account.  For kicks, selected "I am an AT&T customer", typed in phone number and got the message "We're sorry. We can't unlock this device."

Called Straight Talk 3 times and they said they can't unlock it, check with ATT.  Called Samsung twice, no luck.  Called Costco, and they had no fix. Called AT&T and got the message that they cannot unlock the phone and that I should call 611 and talk to my service provider.  I'm stuck in a loop.

Help!

Straight Talk is not AT&T. It is a separate company that operates on AT&T's networks (among others). AT&T requries you to have 6 months of prepaid service (2 months pospaid) before it will unlock a device. You've had 0 months. 

Do you have any documentation (receipt, box, etc.) from Costco showing it was sold as unlocked? If so, I'd take that to Costco first and see if they can make it right on their end 

If not, you can file an FCC complaint. That will get you escalated. Someone that picks up the escalation has the power to process the unlock request. That said, they don't have to, so I'd recommend  being as sweet as possible. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

The problem you have right now it is on a ATT account your straight talk account.  The system knows that IMEI is active on your line.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

So based on what both of you are saying:

1. Its definitely locked to the AT&T network and AT&T is the only one that can network unlock the phone (I realize there are 3rd party unlockers, but don't want to mess with that.)

2. I can buy a AT&T sim card, sign up and have service for 60 days (not prepaid).  Then I can get the phone unlocked from AT&T, cancel my service and then switch to T-mobile. It's not going to still be tied to another account (my Straight Talk account) after sign up for AT&T, is it?

For now, I'm not going to hassle with filing an FCC complaint or deal with Costco (I have the box, but it doesn't say unlocked.) I've read where some Galaxy S7's are locked to the network of the first SIM card inserted Any idea if that is true? Maybe that's what Costco meant.

I've bought two other new S7's for friends, one initially installed a Cricket wireless SIM (owned by AT&T) and the other a T-mobile MNVO SIM.  Both were advertised as unlocked (not from Costco) and I just noticed they both are now network locked to their respective networks. Sounds like I got ripped off and lied to on all 3 of these phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.