For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
lionintexas's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, July 9th, 2016 6:40 PM

Can I port my AT&T landline phone number to new cell phone with a different wireless provider?

I am trying to get a clear answer on how I can port my existing landline home phone number with AT&T to a new cell phone with Cricket Wireless.  I am posting to this forum because there is no forum for plain AT&T Phone (non-U-Verse).

I thought the FCC mandates that you can port your landline number to a wireless number as long as the area code is in the same location and the porting company does not have a state waiver that allows them to refuse to port the number.  My phone number is in the same area code as the new cell phone, and I don't think AT&T has a waiver in Texas to not port landline numbers.

Cricket Wireless is telling me the AT&T landline phone number cannot be ported to a new Cricket Wireless cell phone.  I think they are incorrect, and I need a definitive answer from AT&T whether I can port my landline phone number. 

Yes, I realize I am leaving AT&T, but that is my right, and I don't think AT&T can deny the request, and that Cricket must honor the request by law.  Plus Cricket is owned by AT&T, right?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

8 years ago

I think this is one for support.  As a wireless community forum, it isn't something that comes up.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

8 years ago

I did a general google search, and it brings up multiple cases where Cricket says it can't port a home phone to wireless.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Cricket is in violation of FCC mandates on this issue.  Best course of action:  1) ask to escalate your issue to a supervisor, 2) call your public utilities commission, and 3) file a complaint with the FCC and/or your state attorney general.  AT&T, the parent company of Cricket, had no trouble with landline ports, yet their subsidiary refuses to do it -- I call shenanigans!!

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

@SaraDoe You responded to a question almost a year old. I doubt the OP is still trying to port his number. Besides, not all land line numbers can be ported to cellular. I don't know the exact reason but it is not a violation of any FCC regulation. There is a valid reason some numbers can't be ported. Since the OP never came back, we don't know what the reason was.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.