For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
MXIIA's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, January 17th, 2011 1:23 PM

Unlimited Data Grandfathering.

I currently have the LG Vu, a nonsmartphone, and the Unlimited Data Plan, purchased June 2009.

I am wondering, if I upgrade to a new Smartphone, say the Motorola ATRIX, will I be grandfathered in with an Unlimited Data Plan, or is there a difference between smart and nonsmart phone data plans?

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

13 years ago

No you will not be grandfathered and would be required to select the DataPlus-200MB or DataPro-2GB plan if you got a smartphone.  

You are only grandfathered when going from an unlimited smartphone data plan to another unlimited smartphone data plan.

The unlimited data plan that regular phones (like the Vu used) do not qualify.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for your quick response. One more minor question, with the losing of the monopoly on the iPhone, are AT&T executives showing any signs of reinstating the unlimited data plan as an option, as its top competitors currently have?

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Probably not. Remember that AT&T also offers high end Android and Windows Phone 7 phones and those type of devices tend to use the same or even more amount of data that iPhones, causing saturation in the AT&T network if used excessively.

Point blank: Unlimited Data Plans won't be returning for a long time.

Guru

• 

641 Messages

13 years ago

The competitors (Verizon) have not announced the data plans that are going to be available for the iphone so it is still unsure if there is going to be unlimited or not.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

13 years ago

Tmo is rumored to be bringing back unlim data.

capped data plans don't work. the market will drive it back. just like hardline data plans.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.