For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
dglick's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Friday, July 22nd, 2016 12:52 PM

Windows 10 update for Lumia 640XL

Still waiting on this. Months now, with no reply from anyone even remotely associated with ATT. The update hit for the 640, but not the 640XL. Seriously? Any word from ATT on this would be appreciated.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

I'd suggest considering the Insider Program, but the "Release Preview Ring".
It's quite stable, and actually has a much better overall build than the current AT&T W10m devices are getting (.494 vs .107). It's also got FAR better battery life, about 50% on most phones.
Of course there are risks involved with self-updating your phone, but there's a recovery tool, in the event of a failure; I've yet to see a phone that is un-recoverable with the tool.It's quite stable, and actually has a much better overall build than the current AT&T W10m devices are getting (.494 vs .107). It's also got far better battery life, about 50% on most phones.
Of course there are risks involved with self-updating your phone, but there's a recovery tool, in the event of a failure; I've yet to see a phone that is un-recoverable with the tool.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Community Support

• 

231.5K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @dglick!

Thank you for posting your question in the AT&T Community Forums! We are here to help! We appreciate your business and we definitely understand the need for the latest version of your OS, and apologize for the delay.  

At the present time we unfortunately do not have a precise date of release for the Lumia 640 XL. In most cases, updates will be posted on the day of release.

When the update is made available, you will receive an over the air notification on your device with step-by-step instructions to update your software. To check your device for the software version, tap on the Settings tile → Tap Phone Update.

For more information on the Windows 10 update, you can click on Microsoft’s website. From that website, you are able to download the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor app – available free in the Windows Store – where you can easily check for upgrade availability and begin the upgrade in just a few easy steps.

Hope this helps! Thank you for choosing AT&T for your wireless services!

NateH Social Media Manager

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Yet another side stepped answer to the question, AT&T has had 4 months since the release of Windows 10 mobile and knew that the upgrade was coming upto 8 months prior to that. I was sold a Lumia 640XL on the premise that it would be upgraded as soon as the Windows 10 mobile upgrade was released........I am still waiting and AT&T is dodging and stalling every step of the way. Can AT&T please give us a definitive answer for once? Just tell us that you're NOT going to release the upgrade at all, and I will seek legal counsel and sue AT&T for false advertising and sale practices.

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Why not just swtich over to the Insider program, and get it that way?

The Release Preview ring is VERY stable now. You'd also get the anniversary update, when it comes along, using this method.

I get that you're annoyed, that the OTA release is taking a long time, but you have a great way to work around it, and get the new build too, which is also likely to be delayed for some time, based on the current 640XL delay.

I don't think you'll have much luck with the legal, unless you have a written contract from them about the update, and a date, but I'm no attorney.  Seems like it's going to be a long road that way though, even if it does go through.

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

A standard cut/paste reply?

Come on.  I was told when I purchased this phone that the 640XL would be updated to Windows 10.  Was that a sales pitch?  Because if it was, it was a bad decision.  I'm beginning to get very agitated.  Cut/paste replies to most of us here simply indicate nothing bit a lack of interest in customer issues.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

@pgrey

I have considered, even signed up, but stopped short of hitting the button to perform the update.  What drove me to decide not to go through with the insider program was the absolute lack of ANY privacy which I may have.  It was almost as if my phone would be reporting on absolutely EVERYTHING I did.  I understand why that may be, but no... 

Master

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

@dglick wrote:

@pgrey

I have considered, even signed up, but stopped short of hitting the button to perform the update.  What drove me to decide not to go through with the insider program was the absolute lack of ANY privacy which I may have.  It was almost as if my phone would be reporting on absolutely EVERYTHING I did.  I understand why that may be, but no... 

This should be clarified.  In the Threshold (pre-Anniversary, last public build was 494) builds, it was possible to totally disable Cortana, and any other reporting features like this.  This means no data was being sent for analysis.

In the Anniversary update (also known as Redstone), this changes, Cortana is on, by default, and some features are part of the OS.

While this is true, what IS NOT true, is that it's sending non-anonymous data for analysis.  It needs some non-anonymous data, to do it's job, if you want ANY type of personalized service. This is not required though, you can send purely anonymous data.  Either way, I rest assured that the data being sent is FAR more secure, than even say my health data, as it's "secured" by my insurance company for example.

Also, both Google and Apple are using the same type of data for the same type of services, it's just not as publicly discussed.  Again, this data is more secure in my mind (I've done my share of softare security work, and design) than almost any other secure data I've got living on servers out there (the "cloud").

Is it perfect, either model?  No.  Is it a LOT more secure than any other data, sure is, IMHO, and in my informed opinion, as a software and h/w engineer of numerous years.  My Cortana and other Windows data, is the *least* of my worries, when it comes to my cloud data.

I guess you have to decide, if you want services, of almost any kind now, you have to be willing to release some anonymous data, just the way it is.

If you decide not to, that's okay too, but you have to be okay with being "left behind" on older versions of an OS, regardless of platform choice...

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

I gave up on waiting for the update.  Downloaded the Insider App from the Windows store, and chose "Release Preview Ring".  It almost seems like this "ring" is for those of us who have a provider that won't get off it's rear end and release an update. 

Anyways, it's downloading now...  keeping my fingers crossed.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

The update has finished.  About an hour total to complete, with a few instances that I thought it locked up.  But I held out and finally the bar would move.  Everything seems to be there, except for my contacts.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how to retrieve them.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Well after much confusion and frustration, I went to settings and "reset" my phone back to it's original settings.  (Still windows 10).  At last - my phone is working correctly.  All of my contacts are there, apps work etc. 

So far so good, but it wasn't without some headaches along the way.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.