For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
ctviggen's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Sunday, August 17th, 2014 10:55 PM

Anyone have a Nokia 1020 that has not....

Anyone have a Nokia 1020 that has not received a notification of the new Windows 8.1 update?  I keep checking, but the phone does not find an update.  I am in Connecticut.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

10 years ago

Have you tried to do a manual request for the update?

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

How do I do a manual request for an update?  I searched for a way to do this but could not find anything.

Thank you.

Explorer

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

Go to settings (gear icon) and select Phone Update. Select check for updates.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Oh yes, I've done that many times.  Several times a day now that I know the update (which has features I miss from my Android days) is out.

I do have an unlocked phone from Microsoft that I'm using with AT&T with no contract.  But that shouldn't prevent me from getting an update (or at least I don't think it should).

Is there another way to manually download the update and install it?

Explorer

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

If it is a unlocked (non-ATT) phone then you will not get the update from ATT. You will have to wait for when it is available for your region. Sometimes it is sooner then from the carrier's Sometimes not.....sorry

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry for my delay in responding; I went on vacation. 

Any idea why that is?  That sounds crazy to me, that AT&T locked phones get the updates but the unlocked (bought directly from Microsoft) phones do not.

I still don't have the update.

I bought an unlocked phone because with Verizon the price never went down regardless of whether you had paid for your phone or not.  I got sick of that.  I also will be going to Europe and I wanted to be able to get a cheap sim card while there.  I switched to AT&T and invested in a microcell, so we won't be switching from AT&T for a long time (at least three or more years, as both my wife and I bought new phones). 

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

If you are not finding the update available try going to settings > keyboard > add keyboards > select any keyboard not already installed on your phone that indicates "X MB download".  Upon the completion of this download you will likely be prompted to restart your phone.  We have seen that this process can push available updates to the phone.  If any are found, please install them

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you.  I tried that and it didn't work, unfortunately.

Well, I'm bummed.  I have to wait for an update that others on the same network already have.  I need some additional functionality on this phone (the ability to mute sounds at night for instance, the ability to work with my heart rate monitor -- it sucks to have to carry my old android phone just to use as a blue tooth sensor, etc.).  I still don't have the update.

Why doesn't AT&T update all Nokia 1020s at the same time, regardless of whether they're locked or unlocked?  That simply does not make sense.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

10 years ago

Since you paid the higher price to purchase it unlocked from the MS store, I suspect that also means it doesn't have at&t's carrier modifications to the software, and that could explain why you didn't receive notification/haven't been able to update it - the software on your 1020 isn't recognized as being an at&t version, even though it's compatible with at&t's network & service.

And if that's correct, then as indicated previously the update wouldn't come from at&t - it would have to come from MS.

I'm basing my thoughts on the footnote re: purchasing unlocked phones at the MS store -

"[2] Unlocked cell phones are compatible with GSM carriers, including AT&T and T-Mobile; also compatible with other GSM carriers. Phone will not work with Sprint, Verizon, Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, or any other CDMA carriers. Please contact your carrier prior to purchasing to confirm your carrier will support voice and data on this unlocked GSM device."

in that the phone is designated as being for AT&T in the description - and I'm sure the "locked" $99 version is; but re: the "unlocked" (no contract) version - if it's not generic "non-branded" firmware on the phone, then there would be no need for someone to confirm with AT&T prior to purchase that they will support voice & data on the device.

@ctviggen wrote:

Thank you.  I tried that and it didn't work, unfortunately.

Well, I'm bummed.  I have to wait for an update that others on the same network already have.  I need some additional functionality on this phone (the ability to mute sounds at night for instance, the ability to work with my heart rate monitor -- it sucks to have to carry my old android phone just to use as a blue tooth sensor, etc.).  I still don't have the update.

Why doesn't AT&T update all Nokia 1020s at the same time, regardless of whether they're locked or unlocked?  That simply does not make sense.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Install Developer Preview and get it right away
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.