For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
CamiMarie's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, March 6th, 2018 7:24 PM

Kids smart watch phone plan

Does at&t have any plans on providing a smart phone watch option for kids in the foreseeable future?  There used to be the FiLIP 2 (no longer available).  

Is there a product that is compatible with at&t that I could purchase seperatly for my 9 yr old child?

Verizon offers the LG gizmo gadget.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76

{keep it courteous} Myself like the other parents on here want a wearable device for our children. We are expressing our wants and our reasons for these wants and your response is "just get a flip phone". Obviously you don't have children and don't understand the concept of giving ANY phone to a small child, it will get broken or lost.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Wazzman wrote:

@GLIMMERMAN76

{keep it courteous}. Myself like the other parents on here want a wearable device for our children. We are expressing our wants and our reasons for these wants and your response is "just get a flip phone". Obviously you don't have children and don't understand the concept of giving ANY phone to a small child, it will get broken or lost.

@Wazzman

I have 4 kids thank you very much.  They all had candy bar phones with slide out keyboards.  Starting at age 7 or 8 its been 7 years ago now.  They didn't lose them they kept them in their backpacks.  I for one never looked at low jacking my kids tho.  I looked at it as a way to call 911 or me or the wife for a ride.

If you want a wearable for your kids then switch to Verizon as they have the only kid wearable.  I don't see that changing anytime soon and I for one would not give a young kid a Apple watch or Samsung gear watch as they cost to darn much.  You can express your wants all you care to but I can also express why ATT or any other carrier beside verizon is not going to get one.  If there was a market LG would have brought out a unlocked version of the Gizmo series that would work on GSM carriers.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

I have heard from someone that has nside info. 

FitBit is coming out with a new Kids version. 

Will have basic calling and texting. Just like the Gizmo. 

FitBit will do very well if this is actually true. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Armydood wrote:

I have heard from someone that has nside info. 

FitBit is coming out with a new Kids version. 

Will have basic calling and texting. Just like the Gizmo. 

FitBit will do very well if this is actually true. 

If they can get it to a nice price and it works well yes it could do good.  They also have to sell the carriers since they have never made a stand alone watch with cellular.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I agree 100%. It's extremely frustrating. Or family is honestly considering changing to a different carrier. 

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

5 years ago

Then go ahead and switch. But AT&T isn't going to support a watch for kids until there's greater demand. You could also look into getting a smartwatch and adding it to the AT&T account as a bring-your-own-device.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@QuarryRye wrote:

Then go ahead and switch. But AT&T isn't going to support a watch for kids until there's greater demand. You could also look into getting a smartwatch and adding it to the AT&T account as a bring-your-own-device.

That wont work with the name brands anymore as they require you use numbersync.  Standalone watches are becoming rare these days.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

LG products not that great? That’s laughable. My daughter has a Gizmo from Verizon and even in an area where my iPhone doesn’t get signal her watch does. It is a great device. The watch didn’t flop because it was a failure, ATT didn’t advertise it. Did your sales numbers come from The NYT? Huff Post? Plus Verizon only charges $5 a month for that line of service for the children’s device. Maybe people should look for a phone provider who actually provides more than just a bill and actually provides service. Verizon is where it’s at. They may be higher than ATT, but always remember you get what you pay for. 18 years with ATT, versus 3 years with Verizon, I should have switched many years before. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@mmeyers78 wrote:

LG products not that great? That’s laughable. My daughter has a Gizmo from Verizon and even in an area where my iPhone doesn’t get signal her watch does. It is a great device. The watch didn’t flop because it was a failure, ATT didn’t advertise it. Did your sales numbers come from The NYT? Huff Post? Plus Verizon only charges $5 a month for that line of service for the children’s device. Maybe people should look for a phone provider who actually provides more than just a bill and actually provides service. Verizon is where it’s at. They may be higher than ATT, but always remember you get what you pay for. 18 years with ATT, versus 3 years with Verizon, I should have switched many years before. 

Tell me how that gizmo works when the cdma network is sunset in 2020  See link here.  The watch gets a signal because its using 1x and your iPhone is using LTE..  The new Gizmo watch is LTE only...  The watch did not sell well because its only SOLD ON ONE CARRIER!  My sales numbers come from Verizon's Q results I get as a share holder.  I am on ATT because Verizon stinks in my area or did till they finally realigned the tower panels I complained about after 2 years.

As for LG products they are subpar...  Please google LG bootloop and see....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

There is an LTE gizmo announced in Sep (https://www.androidcentral.com/gizmowatch-verizon-4g-lte-kids-wearable) and appears to be available.  Search for Verizon GizmoWatch and links seem to be showing this version (for which there should be no sunset issues that I'm aware of - please correct me if I am wrong).

I am currently an AT&T customer but my 9 yr old kid's friend has one of these and now my wife wants me to get one for our kid which means switching to Verizon as it is now looking like after reading this thread.  I'd have no issue bringing my own device (and have a lower monthly rate for connecting this device given it won't get used like a flip phone or a smart phone), but that appears impossible.  Verizon covers my hilly area at home much better than AT&T but not as well at my work, but now I have another factor in their favor.

I'm not seeing why AT&T doesn't make 'bring your own' work - unless there are no other devices available in the US besides the LG Gizmo (for which they pulled an Apple and signed an exclusivity contract - I hate that stuff - it's the job of my government to make that sort of nonsense illegal - they, unfortunately are as bad as the phone companies sometimes).

I have to say the one comment from Glimmerman76 that does not bely being an expert was saying a flip phone is no easier to lose than a watch.  That would depend on the kid of course, but mine and I'm guessing many others are more likely to take it out of their pocket and leave it somewhere vs take their watch off.  Most of the rest of the info was useful - that statement, not so much.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.