For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
LostSignalAgain's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, September 20th, 2017 11:58 PM

U-Verse loses signal nightly

Lately I have been experiencing "Lost Signal" message on my cable programing. The outages occur after midnight on the East Coast. No matter how many times I "Reset" the cable box, the signal disappears after 15-20 seconds.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

The VIP2250 is the your dvr.  Ok you can connect it to your gateway (which has only one coax rf connector) with coax but it is usually not recommended (use ethernet instead).  But if you actually are coax connected to the dvr just how can you say the two VIP1200's are coax connected?  I hope you aren't trying to use a RF splitter for all those connections.  VIP1200 is a pretty old receiver model by the way.

The reason I can say that the two VIP1200's are connected by coax is because that's how the AT&T installer did it. 

As for the wireless receivers, you say you have a VEN401AT WAP.   That may be your problem whether problems occur at a fixed time range or not.  That's one of the older models and it's problematic when using it to handle two wireless receivers.  You really should have VAP2500 WAP.

How do I go about replacing the older model receivers?

Given your description of your gateway placement "buried" in a wall at the back of a cloths closet, I am still concerned about ventilation and in this case, for that matter, being a fire hazard.  IMO the gateway should really not be considered an "out of sight, out of mind" device (is that why you didn't list the model number?

My home was new construction in 2005. The homes are configured and designed with this central electronics panel. A certificate of occupancy is required for all new construction. I would rather have an easier access to that panel, however I had no choice where the panel was installed. So far the community of over 1000 residences built since 1997 have not experienced any fires due to the placement of the central electronics panel. The panel is the central hub for the distribution of phone, internet, and tv wiring throughout the structure.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

The reason I can say that the two VIP1200's are connected by coax is because that's how the AT&T installer did it. 

Sorry, I can't envision how that is physically possible and as far as I know you can't use RF splitters on the coax feed from the dvr.  Maybe (hopefully) someone else reading this can explain it.

How do I go about replacing the older model receivers?

Call tech support and ask for replacements.

...residences built since 1997 have not experienced any fires due to the placement of the central electronics panel.  The panel is the central hub for the distribution of phone, internet, and tv wiring throughout the structure.

I have no qualms with passive cables being centralized and interconnected.  It's active heat generating devices that make me feel uneasy.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, I can't envision how that is physically possible and as far as I know you can't use RF splitters on the coax feed from the dvr.  Maybe (hopefully) someone else reading this can explain it.

There are no RF splitters on the coax feed. The central electronics hub in the closet feeds coax, internet, and phone lines to every room in my house through the walls (except bathrooms). I'm talking about a separate coax line, a separate ethernet cable and a separate phone line to each room.  Each room has at least one outlet that supplies 2 coax connectors, 1 ethernet, and 1 phone connection. The 2 VIP1200 boxes are connected by coax to the wall connector near the box. The same goes for the VIP 2250. The TV's receive their signal via HDMI cables to the respective TV. Does that help?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

7 years ago

There has to be a splitter or a diplexor in the coax distribution if you have more than one coax-connected set top.  What do the three coax cables from the three rooms in your connection box connect to?  There's only one F connector on the back of your U-verse Gateway.  Since AT&T did your install, they probably installed a compatible splitter (they do exist, but the requirements are tighter than on a standard CATV one; I believe it has to pass 1.5 GHz) or diplexor (which is kind of like a splitter, but allows the VDSL2 signal to come in via coax and the HPNA signal to go out the same way) in your connection box.

One thing that happens with coax connections is that the danged connections will become loose (especially on the back of the set tops which sometimes get moved around while connecting video game consoles, etc.).  You might want to check every place a cable connects to an F connector and hand tighten.  Because HPNA is basically a single network, a bad connection at any point can cause reflection, interfering with communication between all devices, not just the one closest to the bad connection (in fact, it might not affect the closest device at all). To do it right, this means check:

• The back of the U-verse Gateway
  • Each of the 4 connections on the splitter
  • The connection on the cable on the back of each coax-connected set top.
  • The connection between the barrel connector and the cable on the front of each wall plate
  • The connection on the barrel connector on the back of each wall plate (this is usually overkill, but if you've done every other connection and still have HPNA problems, try it)

I still have one connection via HPNA over coax in my house, but I removed another and replaced it with Ethernet and it made life much better.  Most gateways are capable of displaying HPNA statistics; some of them require you to run a brief (a minute or two) disruptive test, meaning all communication on the coax will be interrupted while doing the test.  Before getting too carried away, look into this to see what kind of bandwidth it's showing and error rates.  If your HPNA is clean, no need to go further.

My concern over the Gateway being in a air-restricted space is not that it overheat enough to cause a fire, but it can overheat enough to cause it to malfunction.  Typically building codes call for you to use such enclosures for passive connections, not powered devices (as _xyzzy_ points out).

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

Ah ha, a diplexer.  Forgot about those guys.  Indeed, check this out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.