For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
evasews's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 7th, 2013 8:58 PM

Closed Captioning How-To

I'm sorry about the first message. Is it possible that when i click the mute button I can get the CC? And How?

Thanks Eva

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

You cannot activate CC by the mute button.  Here are the instructions:

Closed Captioning for U-verse TV

Closed Captioning displays the audio portion of a television program as text on the television screen. Closed Captioning is provided by broadcasters channels and if available, U-verse subscribers can choose to enable or disable them on their Live TV programming, Video On Demand, Pay per View and PEG or government channels.
Change the Closed Captioning settings and language preferences for your U-verse TV service.

Benefits of Closed Captioning

Closed Captioning allows persons with hearing disabilities to have access to television programming by displaying the audio portion of a television program as text on the television screen. Closed Captioning provides a critical link to news, entertainment and information for individuals who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. For individuals whose native language is not English, English language captions improve comprehension and fluency. Finally, captions may also help improve literacy skills.

Configuring Closed Captioning for U-verse TV

Customers can enable Closed Captioning (or CC) in the Menu television screen with their U-verse remote control. Closed Captioning includes choices for Digital CC and Standard CC. AT&T can also offer assistance with the U-verse Easy Remote application for qualifying smartphones or tablet devices.
The Standard and Digital CC settings refer to EIA-608 and EIA-708 (Electronic Industries Alliance Protocols) Closed Captioning protocols, respectively. In the majority of cases, the Standard and Digital CC feeds are the same. There may be situations where the Digital CC feeds (which are valid for HD channels only) offer desirable differences such as additional description of the audio portion of a television program.
Important Note
In U-verse TV, the Digital CC (EIA-708 CC) standard is not output over the component or HDMI connections. However, the U-verse TV receiver delivers the CC in the video signal before it is output on the connection.

Setting Closed Captioniong preferences for all channels

To enable or disable Closed Captioning, press Menu on the U-verse remote control. Scroll over to Options and then choose Audio/Language Options > Closed Captioning.
Arrow down on your U-verse remote control to highlight Closed Captioning and press OK.
From this screen, highlight Digital Closed Captioning and select Change.
For English language, select Closed Captioning 1 and then Save.
Go back to the Closed Captioning screen and highlight Standard Closed Captioning. For English, select Closed Caption 1, then press Save. Go back to the Closed Captioning screen and select Done, then exit the menu.
Once enabled, Closed Captioning will be displayed on all channels, if available by broadcasters. To disable Closed Captioning, select Off in both Standard and Digital Captioning, using the same steps above

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Hello BeeBeeSA and other U-Verse experts-

Please re-read the original question, it was not asking how to enable the closed captioning, that really is obvious in the menu structure. To show this issue as being solved is false.

The real question is how to get the closed captioning to display only when the mute button is pressed, as is normal for typical TV operations. Somehow with this Cisco unit you can only either have the closed captioning "on" all the time or "off" all the time. The missing option (like is available on most modern TV sets) is "CC On Mute".

The best time to use closed captioning is when the TV is muted, like when you are on the phone, so you can still read what is going on the program you are watching, without having the audio distrupting the phone conversation. Having to go through this elaborate menu structure to turn on CC every time you mute the audio is really annoying

Maybe we need a Cisco update to fix this?

Thanks for your kind consideration, please respond with a real solution when it's really available.

Gene30096

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

10 years ago

@Gene30096 wrote:

The real question is how to get the closed captioning to display only when the mute button is pressed, as is normal for typical TV operations. Somehow with this Cisco unit you can only either have the closed captioning "on" all the time or "off" all the time. The missing option (like is available on most modern TV sets) is "CC On Mute".

The best time to use closed captioning is when the TV is muted, like when you are on the phone, so you can still read what is going on the program you are watching, without having the audio distrupting the phone conversation. Having to go through this elaborate menu structure to turn on CC every time you mute the audio is really annoying

Maybe we need a Cisco update to fix this?

Thanks for your kind consideration, please respond with a real solution when it's really available.

Gene30096

Wow.....I've never heard (or seen) that capability, ie: Closed caption only on when you mute the TV.  But then again I've always had cable and now Uverse.  I haven't watch OTA exclusively in 40 years.

I'm pretty sure that it is not an option with Uverse.  I could be wrong and it'd be a cool feature but in all my years of TV viewing (and I'm an old lady), I've never seen it. 

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

Several modern TVs have this feature, but the U-Verse DVR/STB units do not.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

You can use the red C button on the remote to toggle cc on and off

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Will the cc only display in the middle of the screen, or can you select to scroll at the bottom of the screen?  Also - what's the difference between standard and digital closed captioning?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.