For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
lwoxen_1's profile

Mentor

• 

21 Messages

Friday, August 23rd, 2013 7:04 PM

My AT&T wireless receiver keeps losing signal when connecting to access point

Have had one wireless receiver for some time (over a year) and still find that it loses connection to the access point almost every night.  We go through the process of power cycling both the access point and the wireless receiver and it usually works for the next 24 hours or so.  The access point is across the room about 15 feet with a direct line of sight between the two.  The access point is connected to the gateway via cat5 on s direct port (ie not through a switch).  I remember sometime back there was a firmware upgrade that was supposed to fix this, which I believe I got.  Is there a way to confirm the firmware version and update it, or does anyone have any other suggestions. 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Had this problem for 2  weeks. Between 6pm-8pm the WAP would have to be reset to reestablish connection. Called at&t and said they'd have to charge $99 for sending out a tech. Doesn't AT&T own the equipment?

Looking here it's a known issue...

I logged into the WAP and changed the Control Channel to AUTO and then all the tv's came back on. I also enabled the System Log. If it occures again I will post the log.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hello,  my wireless receiver is offline.  I have done what the TV says but it won't connect.

I'm not sure how to follow what I have read.  Help!!!

Cindi

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Thank you for post JefferMC.

I had been having connectivity issues on my two wireless receivers for about 3 weeks. I originally had a basic setup (Uverse TV package w/18Mbps internet). The initial setup had a gateway with an external wireless access point. Service was fine for the most part. Decided to upgrade the internet to the Gigapower package after the first year, which resulted in a new Gateway. The new gateway came with an internal access point for the wireless connection. Immediately after getting the new gateway while the internet was fine I would have freezing issues with my wireless receivers used for the Uverse TV signal. After a couple of tech visits, one finally suggested that the internal wi-fi on the gateways are not very good and that could be the problem. Once he connected an external wireless access point (Motorola VAP2005), I no longer had freezing issues with the TV but my connectivity issues with the wireless receivers for the TV started. They would be up for the day. When I woke up the next morning, the connection would be gone and I would have to unplug and plug back in the wireless access point to get the connectivity back. This was basically every day. We troubleshooted the issue over the phone with tech support.

Things we tried - Logging into the Wireless Access point and disabling the internal wifi on the gateway, moving the external access point farther from the gateway. Even had AT&T send me another Motorola access point. None of these worked. I read this forum and tried disabling the ipv6 feature in the Wi-Fi setup, that did not work either. As a result of the Gigapower upgrade I now have two different Wi-Fi configurations (one 2.4 GHz and one 5.0 GHz). The 2.4 GHz config was set to 'Auto' and was on Channel 1 most of the time. The 5.0 GHz was set to channel 149. Shortly after having the connectivity issues with my wireless receivers, I changed the control channel setting on the 5.0 GHz config to 'Auto' and still had issues. Sometimes it would switch to channel 157. Other times to channel 152. Thanks to this post I decided to try adjusting the channel settings on my Wi-Fi configurations again. This time, I decided to change it for both configs. Earlier this week I changed the 2.4 GHz config from 'Auto' to channel 1. I also changed the 5.0 GHz from 'Auto' to channel 36 (as suggested in some of the earlier replies in the thread). Unplugged both wireless receivers, rebooted the access point, reconnected and paired the receivers again. This seems to have worked for me. It has been 4 days and so far I have not had a single issue. No freezing of my TV or loss of connectivity on either of the wireless receivers.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

For me setting it to AUTO frequency on the WAP seems to have made things a bit better but not guaranteed. Every 2-3 days after 6pm it'll lose connection. It might automatically come back after 5 minutes, or the WAP gets rebooted either manually, or I login to the WAP and reset the Wi-Fi only. 

In my limited testing, setting a lower beacon ie. 50, causes the drops more frequently, and then setting 25 even more frequently. I have set it to 300 and so far only 1 drop in 3 days, but it came back automatically within 5 minutes.

The WRT610n has the same hardware as the VEN4401. Someone who had the same problem with that hardware solved it by switching the 5ghz channel to 20mhz and channel 36. 36 on it's own did not work for me, but will try with 20mhz bw.

Other than changing the beacon, channel, and bandwidth, there isn't anything you can do.

In my case I got to wait a week and determine which setting if any, had any impact.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

I'm another guy having this problem.  My DVR cycles off and on, preventing me from accessing recordings on the wireless receiver.  

But I noticed the problem went away while I was viewing directly from the DVR, which eventually led me to replace the display with one of my computer monitors.  That worked, as did disconnecting the HDMI cable entirely.  My LED projector, it seems, was putting out a signal that triggered the restarts, but only in off mode.  Which is actually standby mode, judging from the LED on the power button which only lights when the projector is turned off. 

So now I leave the projector disconnected unless I'm using it.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

@thetrellan

Awesome feedback and thank you for providing insight to your resolution.

~ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

6 pages dedicated to connection issues and Customers having to fix AT&T's faulty equipment. My service is routinely interupted. When did the consumer paying for a product become the Unpaid trouble shooter for the supplier? I personally do not like my TV going out and it irritakes me to no end to have to be the technician to fix it. I AM NOT TECHNICAL. setting up an appointment for Time Warner. I just want to watch TV.

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

8 years ago

Hi @irritable,

We are sorry about the issues you are having with your wireless receiver. We definitely want to leave you with a working product, and we apologize when this does not happen. We do not wish to inconvenience you, and hopefully, some of the steps outlined are simple enough, but always feel free to contact us, and we will be glad to help as much as possible.

-ATTU-verseCare

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you. The problem has been resolved.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

Oops, thought I was just responding to an email.  Not my thread, so I can't declare it resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.