For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
colreed's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 3:31 PM

How pgm S30 remote to turn on/off separate audio device (Onkyo rcvr/amp) which controls my TV Volume

I have searched all remote pgm instructions, help videos, community forums, etc and find no answer.

THIS IS WHERE I'M AT:

1. I use a separate audio device (Onkyo rcvr/amp) to control my TV volume thru whole-room surround sound speakers. Works good.

2. My old remote (which has failed) had a separate button: 'Aux', which allowed me to pgm the remote control to turn my Onkyo rcvr/amp on and off at the same time as the TV and the Uverse receiver with the simple press of the power button on the remote control.

3. Just got a new S30 remote from ATT. It does not have a separate button for 'Aux' or otherwise any separate audio device. 

4.  Using ATT instructions, I have programmed the remote to turn on/off my Samsung TV, the Uverse receiver, AND TO CONTROL THE VOLUME ON THE ONKYO RCVR/AMP. But it will not turn on/off the Onkyo rcvr/amp either separately or along withe TV and Uverse box. I have to push the power button on the front of the Onkyo to turn it on/off. Very inconvenient.

5. I need for the remote to turn the Onkyo on/off like it does for the other boxes. Seems logical that it should. It is already pgmed to control the Onkyo vol.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

The fact that you could control the volume on the Samsung and Onkyo with the same S30 IR code is just luck.  You must have previously had a S10 remote.  They can still be found.   Or possibly a universal remote might work (more expensive than the S10 of course).

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Professor, thanks for your input. Yes, I have a S10 and it controls my Onkyo on/off BUT NOT THE VOLUME!!!!. and my S30 controls the volume BUT NOT THE ON/OFF!!! Am trying to find something that will control both.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

The only thing I can suggest is to search for a uverse-compatible universal remote.

Yes, I have a S10 and it controls my Onkyo on/off BUT NOT THE VOLUME!!!!.

I though you said in the first post (point 2) that your old remote worked for both on/off and volume for both devices which I assumed was an S10 if you are using a S30 now.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

No. Point two was as follows:

2. My old remote (which has failed) had a separate button: 'Aux', which allowed me to pgm the remote control to turn my Onkyo rcvr/amp on and off at the same time as the TV and the Uverse receiver with the simple press of the power button on the remote control.

Unfortunately, point two didn't say that my S10 controls the volume of my Onkyo.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Professor,

you suggested: "The only thing I can suggest is to search for a uverse-compatible universal remote."

My question is, since I was successful in programming my S30 to recognize my Onkyo, and that it does control the volume of the Onkyo, then why is it not capable of controlling the on/off of the Onkyo?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

You presumably programmed the s30 for your tv.  It thus sends the appropriate IR signals to the tv for on/off and volume (and possibly input select).  The S30 is not a universal remote nor is intended to be a universal remote.  If a IR signals for on/off or volume (maybe input) for your tv just happens to work on some other device that's just luck. And it's also luck if your S30 just happens to control any other functions even on the tv you programmed it for. 

Note, your luck increases somewhat when trying to do these functions to devices from the same manufacturer.  But you are trying to control a Onkyo device and a Samsung device.  So it's a wonder any one code even works for both.  There's no universal standard for device IR remote codes.  Hence the need to program the remotes in the first place and the need for true universal remotes.

You are not going to solve this just using the S30. Just keep all your remotes where you can reach them.  I do that with my tv and ATT remote because there's additional functions I need to do with my tv (for example, switch to OTA antenna or switch tv to use on my computer).  It's either that or find some brand of true universal remote as I suggested.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Professor,

In the "Quick Start Guide" that came with my S30 remote, there are instructions to "Program popular audio device". It lists 10 manufacturers. Onkyo is #4 on the list. The instruction states: "Ensure the Audio device to be programmed is powered on and you can hear sound from it". I did that. Sound was working great. From there:

After a few additional setup actions, the instructions continued. Step 4 said: " While pointing the remote at your audio device, press and hold down the number key (4) for your brand. Let go of the key as soon as the audio device sound mutes." I did that and the Onkyo muted. I can only assume that the remote is now sending signals to the Onkyo.

I have my system wired so that I do not use the sound/volume of the Samsung TV. It is set to 0. The output from the Onkyo provides the sound for my system via surround sound speakers in the room. When I press the volume control button (up or down) on the S30 remote, the Onklo reacts and the volume in the room is adjusted accordingly. The mute button on the S30 remote also activates the mute function on the Onkyo and the sound all goes away. So obviously, my S30 remote is controlling function on my Onkyo. It also operates all the functions on my Uverse receiver box. 

In the "User guide" that came with my S30 remote, there are instructions for "setting up the power control". It states: "By default the POWER key will turn on and off the Receiver each time it is pressed. Once programmed, the Power Maco can also turn the TV and Audio Device on and off. Use the instructions below to change the sequence these devices are powered on and off." I followed all the instructions, and the S30 POWER button only turn the TV and the Uverse receiver on and off, not the Onkyo. 

So, back to the ORIGINAL QUESTION I POSTED, what do I need to do to get my S30 to turn my Onkyo on and off?

Based on what you have told me, I have accepted the fact that, for whatever reason, it is not intended to do that. Of course, after what I have presented above, I do not understand why, but will accept the idea that I have to use both my S30 and my S10 to control my system function.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

7 years ago

@colreed-

Program the s-10 for volume

Always AUX - att/OK-955-AUX

Follow mode button - att/OK-955-ENTER

Program the s-30 for power - OK/MENU-POWER-orange/blue/green (TV/Audio/STB (press each in order of power up) -OK

Expert

• 

15K Messages

7 years ago

I have a copy of those instructions that come with the s30.  I don't know what to tell you.  On the one hand it indicates it can control tv + "audio device".  But then in the User Guide "Specifications & Notices" it says

The AT&T U-verse TV Standard Remote Control is intended for use only with AT&T U-verse TV receivers.  The remote control man not be compatible of accepting every programming code or operating every function on all TVs.

There's nothing about additional audio devices.  However the guide does also have explicit programming code tables for audio accessories, receivers, and amplifiers.  Does that imply that the remote is capable if storing two codes; one for the TV and one for one of these additional devices?  I don't know.  Maybe you can try programming it with, I guess, one of the Onyko accessory codes.  After that if the remote no longer controls the TV because its code got wiped out then you will know and have to reprogram the remote for the TV.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks ACE,

works TV and Uverse receiver on and off. does nothing for the audio Onyko. I give up

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.