For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Paul guy's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, May 14th, 2013 6:19 PM

Delayed response using my remote

Ever since the upgrade in on-screen format recently, there is an additional delay when I use my remote.  Is this because the current cable box is outdated and was not designed to handle the amount of data due to the upgrade in the on-screen format?  Or were we given outdated boxes to begin with? Has anyone else experienced delayed responses when commands have been pressed on the remote?

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

Actually what I see here is the memory use goes up much faster after a reboot of the DVR.  Mine was rebooted late Sat afternoon and is already back up to 85% memory use.  When it gets to about 90% (probably this evening) it will slow the remote down as there isn't enough memory to service the remote requests w/o delay.  Then you push the button again as you think it didn't get it.  So the menu, Recordings, etc., come after a delay and then go back away as the button was pushed twice.

Definitely a memory problem in this design, not a software problem.  Hopefully Ericsson will come up w/a solution to some of these major problems.  In the 4 3/4 years I've had Uverse I haven't cussed as much at that DVR than the last 6 months.  This has had me actually think about changing providers. :smileyangry:

Chris

Employee

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

mibrnsurg I'm sorry this memory usage has become an issue.  I will send you a private message so we can discuss the last time you've has a DVR swap.  I'm trying to replicate the issue you are having as well.  We will definitely work on getting this issue resolved .

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for your feedback.  At first, the situation seemed to improve after I rebooted, but now memory usage is back up to 83% and the situation is back to what it was before, i.e., every time I want to search for a program, or go into "On Demand," or just make basic use of my remote (fast-forward, reverse, set up a recording by pressing the "Record" button, etc.), the lag time is excruciating!  Maybe by this November, when my contract is up, they will have come up with a solution. Otherwise, I might just go back to Charter, or I might give DirecTV a shot.

I appreciate your input.  I don't feel so alone.

Paul

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

I would just like to mention that I was able to receive a brand new VIP2250 with the larger hard drive and my slowness to remote control presses has basically disappeared.  I am running around 88% memory use on my BR TV.  With that said I don't have but 2 or 3 shows recorded.  Available recording time in HD is around 133 hours.  There must be some direct correlation with the amount of disk space used versus remote response times since all boxes link back to the DVR?

I vote that AT&T allows an external HD to be connected to the SATA port on these new DVR's and just let the HD in the box run the rest of the show.

I do have to say mine has improved tremendously over what it was since receiving and installing the new DVR.  Thanks to the community managers on this forum.  They are here to fix any complaints that customers might have!!  Well within reason.  Kudos to all that help!!

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I assume you are referring to the model number of your Receiver/DVR (VIP2250).  My master unit's model # is ISB7500.  The slave unit's # is IPN330HD.

What sort of hoops did you have to jump through in order to request a replacement?  And did you ever end up speaking to a live person in the process?

Paul

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

paulguy I was helped by one of the community managers on these forums.

Employee

• 

581 Messages

11 years ago

Hello paulguy, I would like to assist you with the issue you are having with your DVR. I have sent you a private message so we can discuss your options in having the DVR replaced. Please check the inbox. Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

response to remote is impossibly slow, even responds with incorrect selections. Seems to coincide with newer silly interactive "features" largely ads. Before fooling around, be sure that we can WATCH TV! This PM, HD is largely missing. U-verse software has become utterly defective, not just slow or buggy. Cost was already too high, and now, no service. Lack of live human support is inexcusable. Really, we users should manage memory by rebooting and limiting DVR use? Do not squander resources, making simple TV unusable. If there is something dramatic you can do, let me know, but hope dwindles, Comcast and OTA beckon.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

If it's an LCD (LED) TV check for these settings on your advanced settings on the menu: Dynamic Contrast, Auto or Ambient Brightness, Energy/Power Saver, Intelligent Sensor or Auto Iris.

If you have any of them or similar ones try turning them 'off' one by one until you find the culprit, then turn the non-offending ones back on to double check. All of these can cause Uverse remote problems w/an LCD (LED).

If it's a plasma, make sure the DVR/STB is in front and the face pointing the same direction as the TV, so it gets no IR from the front of the screen.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

We've been experiencing the same issues described here for over a year. It takes multiple attempts before before I get a response from the receiver. As stated above, on occasions, the response is often not associated with the command set from the remote. When attempting to change channels, I have "muted" the receiver itself. A small overlay image in the shape of a crossed out speaker appears in the upper right hand corner.  I had the reset the receiver to get the audio back. Before it's asked, no, the tv itself was not muted.  

Also, when watching recorded programs, if you attempt to use the "skip" function and then skip again before the program starts playing again it will either exit the recording or bring up the menu screen.  

We are still using the same equipment that was installed in 2008 with the exception of the remotes.  I'm hoping we can get some assistance with this issue as we like Uverse otherwise and do not wish to change providers.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.