For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Ones's profile

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 4:22 PM

Our VIP2250 DVR has seizures.

Last week we received a replacement (VIP 2250) for our failed dvr (VIP 1225), which will crash on random mornings always during 10:20 - 10:30 AM. Yes, this is real DVR behavior!  Today automatically it rebooted itself, usually I have to pull the plug.

Do the other 2250 DVR run hot even though there is plenty ventilation of space around the unit?

The VIP2250 models *still* use WIndows CE 5, this OS is so old it has moss growing on its back! And maybe it's too expensive to have use of version 6.

DVR Manufacture date September 2011

TV2 Client: 2.0.26496.22

UI: 5.3.2

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

12 years ago

I also have the VIP2250 DVR and I am having problems with it freezing, at least once daily sometimes more often than that.  It's frustrating as I have never had problems like this with my previous cable company and if this continues I am switching back to cable or to satellite. 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I'm on my third VIP 2250. The last technician thought the problem was that I had not replaced the power supply when I received the 2250. Apparently the power supply for the 2250 is different than the one that comes with the 1225. The 2250 power supply has an round orange sticker on it. About 24 hours after he put a new 2250 and power supply in it reset itself. I called and left several messages but received no call back. The box reset itself again the following day. I just got off the phone with AT&T tech support and was told that the signal strength coming into the box was lower than it should be. They performed some sort of technical procedure and told me that the signal strength was back to where it should be. We'll just have to see.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Welcome joseph-rowland,

For new readers, always use the newer power supply because these are different; VIP2250's need a bit more power. And maybe if not all the correct parts are included with the replaced unit upon return to AT&T - a person could probably get a penalty charge against their account.

Some of this units are probably genuinely defective, but I have questions that maybe a Tech or Tech Support haven't asked you. Smiley Happy

Signal strength doesn't cause these resets, it been noted that some brands of TV can cause interference* with U-verse STBs; what is the distance from your TV to the VIP2250? (VIP2250 STB have a proper steel case with a plastic bezel.)

Are you using HDMI?, certain models of TVs (now combined with age) and U-verse STB do not play nicely together in this way.

Also trying other HDMI ports on your TV may have a low chance of resolving your problem**/***.

*Certain special features related to back-lighting, proprietary control systems (unified home theater control.), fancy fad gadgets like mood lighting. **In the past some older model TV didn't treat all ports as equals because a some hard or software errata. ***Your TV model and the VIP2250 may have problems performing reliable HDCP handshake & authentication.

And has anybody checked the integrity of your cables? HDMI cables should never be sharply bent, but rather gently curved around objects and corners.

As for getting help with line issues, please go to to http://www.uvrealtime.com/

Install that software because it collects statistics from the Residential Gateway and makes it much easier to get help. If you are still having problems, you can start a new thread and save pictures from the IP/Profile, Error Table, Bitloading, Coax/HPNA (if it says you have anything connected) tabs. Images can be posted by clicking on the tree icon.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Ones,

I have a Sony Bravia that is about 4 feet from the VIP 2250. My 2250 has the steel case. The TV is connected via an HDMI cable. This never happened with the 1225 unit. The 1225 unit would lock up while watching a recorded program, which is why AT&T switched it out and gave me the 2250. The HDMI cable is almost a straight line from the box to the tv.

So far it's been 2 days and the 2250 hasn't reset. We'll see what happens today.

thank you

Joe

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Good. Robot Very Happy

Curiously, If you have a TV with Bravia Sync, Does the VIP2250 show up in the Sync menu?

This thread has some ideas in it, My Main Receiver is a nightmare.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

The Sony doesn't have Sync, it's an older model.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue - I thought we were just haunted.  Anyway, I've been having issues with my receiver rebooting itself for some time.  So far, the tech has replaced every single piece of equipment, including cables and power supplies.  Still having the issue.  I have it connected to a Vizio LCD TV.  I have two Vizio TVs, so just to say I did everything possible, I swapped TVs... still had the reboot issue.  So I changed to the comp cable... so far it hasn't rebooted today, but the picture quality is not as good as HDMI, and I still have the freezing/skipping problems, and the volume will cut off now and then.

Any suggestions?  I called Vizio, and they were little help - he suggested ensuring the audio settings on the TV and the receiver are set to PCM.  I verified the TV setting, but how do I verify the setting on the receiver?

Thanks - hang in there guys & gals.

Scholar

• 

117 Messages

12 years ago

I notice that my VIP-2250 gets quite a bit warmer than the previous VIP-1225 I had.  I suspect that once summer arrives, the 2250 will be having a lot more heat-related issues.

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Nope not haunted, probably somebodies defective workmanship most likely. Robot Frustrated

Just sometimes TV firmware isn't fully compliant, and AT&T has had their other own HDMI issues, since the beginning...

Did the Tech really check your lines kgilsen? Did he check that the power outlet was wired correctly that neutral hasn't been swapped with ground, and correct line voltage?

Yeah sometimes it won't look as good - I think it's 16 bit colors (65k, not millions of colors),

These boxes do not have a setting for PCM audio, only Stereo or Surround sound. You can verify or change your settings by pressing Menu, scroll right to Options, press OK on highlighted Audio/Language Options, press OK on highlighted Digital audio output.

Do your TV have HDMI-CEC capability(manufactures have diffrent names so I refer to the technical nomenclature), if you don't need that level of Home theater system control turn it off.

But yeah, component is a last resort to moving the 2250 box to another room and using an older VIP1200, or VIP2200 (non dvr version).

Scholar

• 

122 Messages

12 years ago

Yep Smiley LOL

Have fan will travel.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.