For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dwalk09's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 20th, 2018 5:24 AM

DVR (manual or scheduled) Not Recording even after hard and soft reset/Or Receiver connection issues

I wanted to share this for others who have had issues with their Uverse DVRs to help avoid someone from going through multiple hard reset with no resolution. 

I have 3 receivers in my house.  One is an  IPH8010 and two cisco wireless capable receivers.  The IPH8010 was connected to the gateway (hardwire ethernet).  I had quick power outage in the house and I lost full picture and communication between my receiver/DVR and the TV.  ALL other TV receivers worked fine, internet working and phone. The only functionality to ALL receivers was DVR (manual and scheduled series not working) even though it shows recording scheduled and didn't receive errors. 

To restore picture on the TV connected to the IPH8010 I swapped that device out with one of my Cisco spare devices.  The error I was receiving was deceiving and made it appeart be an issue with the HDMI connection.  I did a factory reset on the TV itself as well as the box.  It always attempted to connect then would hang, so did this multiple times and issue still not resolved.  The last step after spending multiple hours trying everything else was to swap out the IPH8010 box with one of my CISCO receivers.  The TV came back online, no issues but DVR still not working on any devices.  The other think that I noticed is the Ethernet link on the Cicso device would not link even though the gateway link was up. When I tried to connect the Ethernet link to the port on the CISCO it caused some performance issues on all wireless services in the house including internet, so I simply kept that unplugged as it wasn't linking anyway.  

After being on with ATT who wanted to have me to another reset, I actually directed the that it appears that the CISCO devices are not actually DVRs but they are TV receivers.  Meaning that the IPH8010 is required for full functionality such as DVR. As I suspected and got confirmation from the ATT rep who learned something new....the IPH8010 is the DVR receiver master without it you are going to have issues.  ATT is now are sending a replacement within the next few days.  Hopefully this helps the next person save some time and a whole lot of frustrating headaches/service calls as there is nothing on ATT site about this. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

...the IPH8010 is the DVR receiver master without it you are going to have issues

FYI, there's no such term as "DVR master" implying that there are other dvr's in an installation (at least that's how I interpret your use of the word "master" in this context).  There is only one dvr which is always required for a uverse tv installation and always hard wired (generally ethernet, optionally but not recommended coax) to the gateway.  An installation can't work without it.

Other wired receivers communicate with the dvr through the gateway they are wired to.  Wireless receivers communicate with a WAP (wireless access point) which itself is connected to the gateway so that they can communicate with the dvr.  So you see there is only one dvr and it is central to the installation.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

Had you posted your problem on these forums, you would have been informed that

a.) You have ONE DVR and it is hardwired to your Gateway (aka Modem/Residential Gateway), period. 

b.)  All other STBs (set top boxes) be wired or wireless, get their information from the DVR.  They have limited functionality when the DVR is not working.

c.)  You can't 'swap' out a STB for the DVR.

d.)  Power outages or power surges can play havoc with AT&T equipment.

I've had UV for over 10 years and this is how it's worked since day one.  It's a shame you were not informed of this at installation.  It's an even bigger shame that the CS person you talked to was not aware of this.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Have not heard of the UV.  How does that work 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

What is the uv and am I missing it?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

UV = U-verse Man SurprisedMan Frustrated

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I found it impossible to even connect to a person at tech support.  I'm having the same problem.  I have 3 TV's with boxes.  The master TV and Direct TV box is connected to internet.  It records and shows recordings as it should. The two additional ones suddenly lost capacity to show recordings or record.  They just vanished as an option.  I've tried resetting them with no result.  Do you have a suggestion?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.