For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Diane1633's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 17th, 2015 2:40 AM

Blue screen with weak or no signal warning then nothing

everythung was fine last night. Tonight when I turned on the tv the screen was blue displaying "weak or no signal" I thought perhaps the source setting got inadvertently switched. When I tried to switch it back, using remote for the tv, the screen scrambled and I could not get it to go back to blue. The tv sound was on with a scrambled picture. No matter how many other things I tried , re setting, turning off and back on , running through the troubleshooting list, I even tried to use one of my other uverse boxes from another tv in the house, (all other tvs working fine) nothing seems to work. Now I have a scramble screen and can't get the sound back either. I've made a bigger mess of a mess. Please help

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Diane1633 - 50 ft is a long way for an HDMI cable. Not to say it would not work.

For u-verse to work, it needs to see an HDCP signal from the TV. If it does not see that signal it will not provide video output. The 50 ft HDMI cable may be adequate for the conrtent signal , but noot the HDCP signal.

Sometimes for testing, you need to set up different than you will use regularly. I would connect TV/STB with a short HDMI cable to see if it works. If it does not work - try a short component cable. Also, try different HDMI inputs on the TV.

Never saw a long component cable. Long HDMI is availlabe & also a splitter intendend to extend length - https://sewelldirect.com/sewell-hdmi-1x2-splitter-v13b?ad_source=googleadwords&ad_medium=ppc&ad_term=hdmi%20%2bsplitter&ad_campaign=53983803&ad_group=2074889043&ad_network=search&ad_creative=7153161963&gclid=cke_ir2ii6gcfuik4aoduebycq

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

@Diane1633 - I would like to reinforce MTs recommend to use component cable. It does sound like he HDMI is not working.

Look up in the TV user manual how to connect component. IT has five cables - three video & two audio. If you have any old composite cables (red, white, yellow), you can use them for the three video connections. Just be careful to get the colors the same at each end. Then use any stereo cable or the red/white of a composite cable for the audio.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I need to mention that this is a brand new tv, cable box , and HDMI cable all less than a month old. There is no component cable being used. just the HDMI. The brand new 50ft HDMI cable goes from across the room from the tv down through the basement and back up to my brand new 72" Samsung LED SMART TV. At the time of purchase I obtained 2 of these 50 ft cables and have tried both of them without success. Please reconsider these factors when helping me solve this problem. Thank you in advance.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.