For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
gsevick's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2017 10:24 PM

UVerse installing digging up my neighborhood

Hi, AT&T Contractors are boring in new lines in my neighborhood.  I know this becasue I had to ask them who the lines are for.  AT&T never informed anyone in the nieghborhood this would be happening.  I understand the work is occuring in the right of way which extends 10 feet up from the street. They will not tell me if any damage to the property, which I pay lots of money to maintain will be satisfactorily repaired.  This is lots of mud on AT&T's face.  Real bad first impression.  Where is the documentation stating damage will be repaired?  If they damage my property I will contact the police and the city to file a propert damage report.  Giant AT&T needs to remember to be a good neighbor, it should be telling us what is going on and gaurenteeing safety and reapirs to property.  I don't have billions of dollars to like AT&T so it is important that my property that I work very hard to take care of is respected.  I feel AT&T is disrespecting me and my neighbors. 

Gary

Scholar

• 

150 Messages

7 years ago

You probably won't get notified when they are working in a right-of-way and not on private property and what they're doing isn't impacting use of your property. You won't get documentation stating that repairs will be made to your satisfaction but the contractors are pretty good about repairing their damage if it impacts your property. If it isn't there are steps you can take to get it repaired correctly and to your satisfaction, but you'll have to wait until the work is done. As for them disrespecting you and your neighbors, you'll probably have to stand in line because everyone seems to feel offended and disrespected these days.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Right of Way and Easements are private property.  I pay the taxes on said property right up to the street.  I also insure it. Working in the easements does not give them the right to casue damage with no recourse.

I agree that AT&T does have the "right" to work on MY propery in the easements. I want competiton for telecom services in my neighborhood. But they should be a good neighbor and not disrespect the people they want to peddle their service to.  I don't 'feel' disrespected, I am being disrespected. If this were a gated community you can be asured notices would have gone out or they wouldn't get through the front gate.

rearnold864 - How are you a "mentor" on this site?  What are you mentoring?  Since you are a whatever how about you mentor the construction crews on how to not damage the streets in my community?  Everywhere they pneumatic rammed the interduct under the streets has caused upheaval (should have used a directional boring machine). These are the streets everyone in my community has to pay to maintain.

I'm guessing you must work for Uverse.  Your insulting reply would indicate such.  And thanks to your response I've contacted with the City of Sunrise permit and engineeing offices to express my 'feelings' about how MASTEC and AT&T have not posted the permit for review, can't produce it upon request and have damaged roadways.  The insepction will be interesting and hopefully result in a few red tags on the job.  Oh, and the contractors OSHA violations will be even more entertaining.

AT&T - Just leave some door-hangers next time. PLEASE!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

This is MASTEC Ref # [edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

7 years ago

Please keep us aprised of this situation. 

It was always under the impression that utilities (water/electricity/gas/cable) can work in a "utility" easement without notification unless it disrupts your service.  Perhaps your city (Sunrise, FL) is different.

All AT&T employees are marked as such.  The moniker "mentor" is just a designation given by the mods of this message board.  Trust me...I ain't a "Master" of nuthin'...except maybe posting!

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

I fully expect that any utility will do whatever is needed to conduct repairs but Internet Service is not a utility.  Sewer line break, water main break, electrical feeder breaks, cable or phone line fails - absoultely come and fix it without notification.  I'm sure the people that are affected would be aware.  So of course repair will not prompt prior notification, maybe other than a road closure, extremely long power outage or no water sewer for an extenxed period of time.

AT&T is performing a fairly large infastructure construction project.  Prior notification to affected parties is the right 'thing' to do.  Posting the permit is a requirement for most construction work.

I suppose what you are saying is that AT&T is amoral in this situation and doesn't have to tell me or anyone that will be affeted by their work.  AT&T's contractor MASTEC already damaged a water feeder, AT&T Telco lines and now the streets we drive on. So yes notification is needed ahead of time just becasue it's the right thing to do.  In essence AT&T has been been sneaky and effectively immoral in this process.  Gated communities have been informed nearby.  So us little pee-ons in the 'common folk' neighborhoods don't get a 'Hey we're installing some new lines to make you Internet better' mailers or door hangers.  Instead we got a guy wandering around the neighborhood tring to sell TV service, even though solicitation is prohibited (he didn;t mention new lines being installed, could have done that then maybe?). Again, AT&T = immoral instead of amoral.  And a company being amoral doesn't preclude it from following the rules, laws and just doing the right thing.  And I will remember this for the rest of my life along with most of my neighbors, especially when the roads that were perfectly fine before Big AT&T visited need to be repaved in 5 years instead of 10 and I have to pay a hefty assessment for years and years.  Can't wait for everything to go wireless.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Almost forgot.  Maybe someone at AT&T can step up to the plate and just say "We're sorry, we will do an investigation into the reported damage and fix any casued by our ongoing construction work.  We will work to better communicate with the communities we want to service going forward."  Just a nice canned response to placate us common folk.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

7 years ago

I'm pretty sure the phone company is considered a utility.  Why else would they have access to "utility" easements?

I agree that every day we are being shown how companies, individuals and politicians are sorely lacking in morals.  They do what they want when they want just because they can and with no repercussions and no sense of morality.  *sighSmiley Sad  It makes me long for "the good old days".

• 

25.7K Messages

7 years ago

You need to quit going off on people on this board.  We are all users like you and have no connection or control over AT&T.  If you have a problem with AT&T take it up with AT&T.  Most of the people responding do not live in your area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.