For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
kpsg2005's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 27th, 2015 8:08 PM

Promotions are over. What can I do to reduce the higher cost?

I'm a new customer to AT&T and love the service.  My area was basically a monopoly and couldn't wait to get a new service when AT&T became available.  As a new user my promotion was $117 a month.  I got U300 and 18mbps internet.   Now the promotions are over and my bill hiked up over $60 more a month.  I reduced the package down to U200.  There really isn't an internet option that will reduce my bill in any significant way.  Even at the lowest speed my bill is about $45 a month higher than in the promotion period.  Now my old carrier is offering more channels and double the internet speed for a little more than my promotional price but less than the retail i'm paying now.   And thats not even on a promotional basis with them.  Problem is I hate their service.  Has anyone had any luck getting a promotional price or around that price for the regular service?

Guru

• 

638 Messages

9 years ago

You could save on Internet by $5 per decreased level. Otherwise you should just leave everything alone. Others play the rotating promotion game getting all worked up complaining to the retentions dept every six months. Don't waste your time and emotions.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

9 years ago

There's a few different options. Play the retentions game every few months although some reports are that they're less likely nowadays to reduce price, but they'd much rather up your packages for no extra fees.

The other option, as said, is to reduce your internet speed. Unless you're into heavy gaming or internet video use (Skype, Periscope, etc.) the 12.0 should be good... true, it's advertised as that, but a lot of subscribers to that tier have been reporting closer to 15.0Mbps.

You can also reduce your TV package to U-200. A lot of movie channels go on "free preview weekend" during the weekend that a big-name series premiers a new season. Record what you want and then watch it after the free previews end. If you're into the series, call up the day before the series has its second episode and get one month of the movie pack for free. In addition, sites like freepreview.tv will promote free previews...duh.

When that free month ends, cancel the movie package subscription. The next week (or week after), call back for another go-round...if they won't give it to you, pay the rest of the season.

The Movie Package (includes all movie channels except for EPIX, HBO and Cinemax) seems to give out free previews fairly regularly. HBO/Cinemax are a bit stingy...usually one preview of three months per year, although you may be able to get around this by getting three months free and then upgrading from U-300 to U-450 free for free months.

For example: Say a new season premiers on Sunday the first on Starz. They should offer a free preview that weekend. Watch the first episode on the free preview. On Saturday the 7th of March, call up and get three months of the Movie Package for free. On June 6th, call up and cancel the Movie Package. On the 14th or 15th, call up and repeat it.

Another hint... do your research on what other companies in your area are offering you to switch to their service. When you reach the retentions office, quote those offers.

If you do your work, they'll usually give you a deal...but you gotta work at it.

Remember to be nice when you're on the phone with them...it goes a long way.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.