For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
k2mp12345's profile

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

Friday, February 21st, 2014 12:53 AM

Closed

Signed a 1-year contract and then AT&T raised price

I was going to cancel my service in December last year, but when I called to cancel, AT&T offered U200 for a certain rate for 12 months in exchange for me signing a contract for one-year.  So I agreed to keep AT&T U-Verse for 1 year and pay that set price.

Subsequent to our agreement, AT&T raised the bill by ~$4 in February (yes, the notification was in the December bill but that bill was generated after I entered into the one-year contract).

I had an online chat with customer care and I was told that it is AT&T's policy to apply the rate increase even to customers who are under a contract.  I sent a private message this past weekend but I have yet to hear back.

It is absurd that AT&T thinks this is okay:

1) If I cancel the service before December this year, I have to pay a penalty.

2) Yet AT&T can raise the rate at any time without my consent.

3) If I don't like the rate increase, I can cancel the service but I still have to pay the penalty.

Is anyone else having this same issue (i.e., those who have to pay a penalty if they were to cancel within the contract period, similar to how cell phone contracts work)?  Please share your experience here.  Thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Sounds like they did to you what they did to us a couple years ago. Told us we would pay 60$ a month for phone and internet then billed us 90 a month. We called to complain and were told that it would take 3 months for the payment reduction to go through, talked to three different people who told us we were not under a contract and canceled our service. Magically our contract went through as soon as we canceled our service so they could bill us the disconnection fee. 

Avoid AT&T if you can help it. They are about as dishonest as your least liked politician.

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

@dydxlnx wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

You were given a discount on the package price, fees and taxes are not included in this promo price.  Every February prices go up, regardless of whether you are in a promo price or not.

And here it is, the explanation that despite the fact that we are told--and sometimes get in writing--that the price is fixed for a year, it really isn't. We should have known.

If you have it in wrting and you look under the terms you will see that fees are not covered.

If we have the conversation with the sales rep in writing (a la copy of the transcript) it doesn't mention anything about fees. The issue is not what the small print says, but what the sales rep promises. We ask for a price, including fees. We are told a price. We ask how long the price is good for. We are told a year. 

We are NOT told a year unless the fees change. We are NOT told a year unless it goes up every February. We ARE told it is fixed for a year. Quoting the fine print is just legally lying to customers, but it is still lying to them.

In my case it is not the fees that changed two months into the contract, but the basic service that went up 5$ per month. 

There are no fees involved. There is not rental involved. There are no taxes involved. It is the base price I was assured was good for a year that changed, and all we get is the statement that it does so every February, as though that fact makes it acceptable to mislead us. No one addresses the deceit of the practice of promising a price for a year--that everyone who works for ATT knows will change in February. No one addresses sales reps promising what they know is not true. All the ATT reps on this site do is tell us it is in the fine print or that it is an ATT practice, and therefore we should have known.  

Mentor

• 

75 Messages

10 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

@dydxlnx wrote:

You are correct. I misread the question, assuming his experience was similar to my own--i.e. the fixed for a year price going up the next month. How does your response apply to that?

It did not need to apply to your issue.  My response was appropriate to the post I was replying to.

I am not fully conversant with the details of your situation, I wasn't there.

Then what is your reply to the base price changing after two months? Not the taxes or fees or rental, but the base price?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

They did me the same way. To add to that they moved my Due Date to the 1st of the Month with no Grace Period. I get paid on the 3rd of the Month.So now they can add a 8.00 late fee to my Increased Rate.Employee(s) be it in Person or on the Phone don't care or are Trained to say--->"There's Nothing I can do about it" all Day long.The word Agreement or Fixed means nothing at A T & T.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

What is their Slogan?---->Rethink Possible.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

10 years ago

dydxlnx wrote:

Then what is your reply to the base price changing after two months? Not the taxes or fees or rental, but the base price?

My reply is that I am not privy to your communications and/or agreements with AT&T and what you or they agreed to.  If I were offered "a discount of $xx.xx/month," then changing the base rate would not be an issue for me.  If I were offered "a discount of $xx.xx/month, which brings the current price down to $yy.yy," that's probably the same bag.  If I were offered "a fixed rate of $xxx.xx/month," and I have good documentation, then I'd be bringing it up with customer care for some sort of adjustment.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I too became dumb founded when I discovered that ATT and I agreed to a contract where the usual assumptions carry no weight.  For example, I agree to pay a certain amount for 12 months to the internet carrier thinking we have consciously agreed to a price.  However, ATT's small print and not mentioned at the retail level,  gives itself the right to change the agreed rate essentially at will and for any reason.  This is the worst of capitalistic excess, contrary to the purported "good carrier" image, and a call for further regulation, strengthened consumer protections and unravelling of the the monopolistic hold on low quality internet delivery.  Nor do I believe it is fair play to not permit free breaking of the contract when ATT decides to increase the initially agreed upon fee.  I received no communication from ATT as required under the contract in the small print of a reason for the increase in the fee.  The monthly statement simply showed a new rate with a new discount amount.  I am assuming the increase is because ATT has decided to raise the charge...and this simply because they can.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I'll start by apologizing because this is going to be a long post, and I don't know how to start a new paragraph on my phone. 😥 I see I'm among the many who feel taken by corporate double talk. I appreciate the terms and conditions of base rates explanation, but shouldn't that have come during the initial sales pitch for Uverse and bundle packages ATT? If it had, I believe more customers would've questioned whether or not to go with your service. It also seems advantageous to retain the customers you have AND add new ones. Promotional offers shouldn't have to be sought out, but automatically offered to those who have been faithful customers for decades. TWC didn't begin lowering their rates until Uverse became widely available. WE have other choices as well now with more on the horizon, remember that ATT. Some advice gleaned from years of dealing with other government and large corporate entities when your bill goes up one month after you're assured it's "locked in" for a year. 1) Never call customer retention, better known as disconnecting your service because that's the only time they'll negotiate, on weekends. Stick to normal 8-5 eastern Monday thru Friday. 2) Write down the date and time you called as well as the name of everyone you speak to during the call. Keep this information where you can find it

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Not done, but it posted anyway. 4) If you don't get satisfaction from the first person, ask to speak to their manager. Keep doing this until you get your desired price. 5) Repeat back to the rep what you've agreed to in full. 6) Prepare to be on the phone a long time - most of it on hold as another "manager" is consulted for approval. I've got to run this same gauntlet Monday to get the atrocious $41/month internet rate ATT is trying to charge back down to a less than acceptable $23/month they agreed would last a year in June then went up in July. I have my non-ATT cell and a 2007 computer I don't use often. For $41, I should be able to send messages to the moon and back in a millisecond. I cannot. The only recourse customers have is to contact your Attorney General. And, since this is an election year, give your member of Congress a call. Then try your Senators, preferably one who is running. It would be a good idea for those running ATT to remember why Ma Bell was split apart. If you take advantage of enough people, you'll see those profits (and your bonus checks) to your competitors. Sadly, this will ultimately lead to a loss of thousands of jobs. Are FAIR and HONEST business practices too much to ask ATT?

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

We are paying more every month than orginally told but also the representative told us that we would be getting 3 gift cards, 

1. $200. for bundling

2. $150. because we were existing customers

3. $50. because I also had a cell phone

No one had ever heard of this after we signed up we got the $200. card but the other 2 were non-existance in the company. No one seemed to care either. When I ask to speak with a supervisor they would have to call me back and they must have been really busy because that has been about 5 months ago and I haven't heard from her since. And the representative gave me her cell # but when I called her she was going to check on it and call me back, haven't heard from her either. I think that the company might have gotten to big for their britches and needs to be taken down a notch or two.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.