For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get the myAT&T app
IDmashed's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 12:39 AM

Billing responsibility on account. Pro's and con's to switching.

I live with my Daughter and the adults all take a utility bill and manage it even though we all pay a portion of the bills.

I am moving out of CA and my Daughter and her husband would keep using AT&T.    She believes by closing the account and starting a new account under her name will give her more discount and new customer incentives saving her more money.  in addition the current equipment is over four years old and getting tired.  She'd like to have the latest equipment for both the internet and DVR and remote wireless receivers.

So I do not think she understands the start up fees and that most new contracts now require a two year commitment for the best deals and frozen rates during that period vs. no start up  costs only an annual commitment if you are receiving discounts or incentives.

I know this is a lengthy post, but it may help others in the future. 

1.  The concern is if the bill is transferred will she be considered a new customer or a current customer?

2.  Does someone know how to get equipment upgraded w/o being a new customer or the old equipment being broken?  It does not seem fair that a customer should have to pay for upgraded equipment due to age and normal wear and tear.

3.  I know DirectTV has taken over providing the TV service.  For numerous reasons for another day.  She would like to delay having to switch over to DirectTV,  does a new customer have a choice?  How soon will old customers have to switch over to DirectTV?

4.  If she chooses to remain using existing account will there be any switchover fee's?   She only has internet and Uverse TV.

Any help regarding these questions and concerns would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

8 years ago

1. I don't think an account can be transferred only closed. If she gets a new account she would qualify as a new customer and get bigger discounts. All equipment returned. Loses all recordings on the dvr. Old account owner returns equipment. Don't let the installer take it. 2. You can call cs and ask for newer equipment. If the dvr is replaced, all recordings are lost. No guarantee they will send new equipment. 3. If she wants uverse tv she can get it. Dtv is being pushed but uverse tv is still available. 4. Should be no fees to continue using the old account. Unless att agrees to change the name on the account, the account would still be in your name. You may not be able open a new account elsewhere. These answers may not be entirely correct. Send a PM to ATTU-VerseCare for definitive answers using the blue envelope at the top of the page.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.