For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
dsnklein1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 29th, 2014 2:58 AM

Uverse keeps freezing

I got Uverse about 1 month ago and haven't really had time to watch TV until the last few days.  Both live and recorded shows constantly pause and the screen often is jumbled.  My TV is a new high-end Sony so I don't think that is the problem.

Either my box is bad or the technology is insufficient for the dense bandwidth of HD transmissions.  Anyone else have this problem or a suggestion?  Thanks.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

I'd do a hard reboot by unplug/plug in power after 30 seconds. This will fix many DVR problems, let us know if it worked, good luck. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hey @dsnklein1 

Just checking up on your post. Sorry to hear that your DVR is have some freezing issues but, did mibrnsurg's reboot advice help you with this problem? If not then feel free to send a reply to the Private Message that I sent to your inbox and we'll move forward from there. Thank you! 🙂

- MorganCS
- ATTU-verseCare

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for getting back to me.  Tried re-booting twice but still have the same problem.

Doug

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal information]

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

10 years ago

When you mention freezing, is it just the actual TV stream or the whole box freezing? In other words, when it's "freezing" is the receiver not responding to any button presses, or it responds to pressing buttons(guide, etc.) but the TV stream is poor and/or freezing. I ask because you mention "and the screen often is jumbled."

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

me too, thinking of going back to Directv as only time I had problems was in heavy heavy rain, but UVERSE is doing this constantly. Especially the morning, maybe they are doing maintenance but that is no excuse for what we pay. Why should I have to go reboot constantly that means the junk needs to be fixed and revised.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

NVG589 Gateway, has a known issue with no fix, it causes freezing a DVR or GATEWAY should not need rebooting every little bit ... This is a temporary fix for a PERMANENT PROBLEM 

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

THERE IS A KNOWN ISSUE WITH GATEWAY NVG589, AND THERE IS NO FIX. I HAVE BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE SOS TEAM IN SAN ANTONIO , TX AND THAT WAS THERE ANSWER. rebooting is a temporary fix for the permanent  problem  

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

ok so DirecTv it is, or do you think they will fix this issue?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

So you think you have problems. Here are three letters I have written to AT&T so far:

March 30, 2015

Dear Mr. ***,

The following is a copy of a letter I addressed to the Federal Trade Commission:

I have had AT&T Uverse cable and internet for approximately three years. Immediately after it was installed, I experienced problems with the system-lost signal, internet failure, frozen picture, etc. Every component of the system has been replaced multiple times. I have spent literally hours on the phone with AT&T trying to resolve the issues. Technicians have come to my house at least 25 times. I have taken many days off from work to meet the technicians. Each time after the technician leaves, the problems recur, usually within a few hours-a week at the most. Most recently, I have had problems with internet failure and frozen picture for about 3 weeks but I did not have time to meet a technician. Finally, on March 12, 2015, it got so bad that I called to ask how to terminate service. I told them I needed to find a replacement before I terminated service. Then I decided to give them one more chance to resolve the issues. I spent one hour and fifteen minutes on the phone with AT&T troubleshooting. Five minutes after running every test they had, it failed again. Then I received a call from AT&T to see if the problem had been resolved. I told them it had failed again. The AT&T representative asked if I wanted to schedule an appointment to have a technician come to my house. I said I did and we scheduled an appointment for that day between 4:00 and 8:00 p.m. I was told the technician would call me when they were on the way. I waited all day and night. No one called and no one showed up to resolve the issue. My patience has run out. I want two things: I want my TV and internet to function properly and I want a credit for all of the days, months, and years that I paid for a service I did not receive. Please tell me if you can help. Thank you very much.

Within a few days, I received a call from Ms. Brooks and Mr. Wheeler, both of whom expressed great concern about the problems I have experienced with Uverse. They assured me that their entire technical team would devote all resources and that their very best technicians would come to my house and finally resolve my issues. We scheduled a visit for the technicians on March 24th. On March 24th, a technician named Tory arrived and asked me, “What kind of problems are you having?”. I asked him if he had not reviewed the case and if he had not discussed the case with Ms. Brooks or Mr. Wheeler. He said he had not. I immediately placed a call to Mr. Wheeler and Ms. Brooks and left messages expressing my disappointment that my case had obviously not been given the level of urgency I expected. Tory worked for about an hour and thought he had possibly found the problem and left. Within an hour, the picture was freezing again and my internet service was interrupted. I did not hear back from Mr. Wheeler until the next day. I have never heard back from Ms. Brooks. Mr. Wheeler asked if I was still having problems. I told him that the problem had not been resolved. He said he would have to look deeper into the problem. Then on March 26th, Justin, the Regional Supervisor called and said he had run some tests and saw that I was still experiencing problems. He asked if he could come out that day to check the system. I told him I could not meet him that day but that I could meet him the next day, March 27th. We agreed on 11:00 am for him to come to my house. He said he had all of my contact information. At 11:00 am on March 27th, I was waiting for Justin. He never showed up. He didn’t call. I waited all day. At 4:53 pm that afternoon, I received a voicemail from Justin asking when he could come out and fix my problem once and for all, as if we had not made an appointment for that morning. I have not returned his call.

I am still having the problem with the picture freezing intermittently and my internet service fails repeatedly. And to be perfectly honest, I am shocked at the lack of response and urgency my case has received. So I decided to write to you to see if you can help. I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Scott

April 14, 2015

Dear Mr. ***,

I would like to share with you the events following my letter to you, dated March 30, 2015, a copy of which is enclosed. Perhaps you will find them of interest.

On April 7, 2015, I received a call from Ms. Denmark in response to my letter. She stated that she was calling on behalf of Mr. Wheeler, who was unavailable. Ms. Denmark expressed great concern with the issues I have experienced and informed me that it would be necessary to schedule a technician to come to my house once again to resolve the problems once and for all. I agreed to take off work again to meet a technician but I wanted to know what was going to be different from all of the other visits. She assured me that this time would be very different and that she would immediately start an investigation following our call and that the most experienced technicians would be involved in a final resolution to my problems. We set the appointment for Friday, April 10, 2015 between 1:00 and 4:00 pm. She apologized for the problems I’ve been having and for the poor customer service. On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 3:06 pm, a Jamiel called identifying himself as an AT&T technician. He stated that he had just been dispatched the job to come to my house and wanted to see if I was at home. I asked him if he had been briefed on the problems I have been experiencing for years. He said he had not and that he had just been given the job. He just knew that my TV picture was freezing. He did not know about anything else. I suggested that we not waste his time or mine if he had not been briefed on my problems. He said he would talk to his supervisor.

On Monday, April 13, 2015, I received a call at 1:17 pm with no caller ID, so I did not take the call. A voicemail was left by Mr. Wheeler asking that I return his call. At 1:24 pm, I returned Mr. Wheeler’s call and got his voicemail. I left him a voicemail asking him to return my call. It is now 1:44 pm on Tuesday, April 14, 2015, and I still have not received a return call from Mr. Wheeler.

Mr. , I am sending a copy of this letter to the Federal Communications Commission to see if they can possibly help resolve my issue because apparently, my letter to you did not create enough concern at AT&T to take me seriously. And by the way, I am still having the problem with the picture freezing intermittently and my internet service fails repeatedly.

Sincerely,

Scott

April 28, 2015

Dear Mr ***. ,

I would like to share with you the events following my letters to you, dated March 30, 2015 and April 14, 2015, copies of which are enclosed. These letters, along with this letter represent my desperate, yet unsuccessful, attempts to find someone within your company who will take responsibility and finally resolve the issues I have had with my Uverse service.

On April 15, Mr. Wheeler did finally call me at 9:40 am and left a message. I returned his call a few minutes later and left a message. On April 16, I received a No Caller ID call at 7:54 pm, which I did not answer. A voicemail was left by Ms. Brooks stating that if I was still experiencing problems, I needed to call Ms.Denmark for help. She provided her phone number. The next day on April 17 at 2:05 pm, I called Denmark and left a voicemail asking her to return my call. Today is April 28th and I still have not heard from Ms. Denmark-eleven days after I left her a voicemail. I have no missed calls or voicemails from her.

And by the way, I am still having a problem with the picture freezing and my internet service fails repeatedly, and actually more frequently than before. I am sending a copy of this letter to the Federal Communications Commission in order to document my issues. Perhaps they can offer a solution. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Scott

Cc: Federal Communications Commission

Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau

Consumer Inquiries and Complaints Division

445 12th Street

Washington, D.C. 20554

File No:

Enclosures

The only calls I have received from AT&T since my last letter have been two callers notifying me that if I don't pay my Uverse bill, my service would be terminated. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[Edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@glenno60 wrote:

NVG589 Gateway, has a known issue with no fix, it causes freezing a DVR or GATEWAY should not need rebooting every little bit ... This is a temporary fix for a PERMANENT PROBLEM 

Disabling IPv6 generally stops those problems on a 589 RG. 😉

https://forums.att.com/t5/Equipment/Slow-connection-using-Google-Facebook-and-certain-sites-after/m-p/4204960#M382

😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.