For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
boeckelr2's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, June 27th, 2014 10:42 PM

NVG589 Bridge mode, static ip and ip pass through questions

Hi everyone

I have uverse phone tv and internet as well as a block of static ip addresses. 

I am am currently living with my parents.....I need the static ip addresses to practice networking and it security things (Such as running a Cisco ASA firewall). 

I do not want this to interfere with my families use of the Internet. I want all of their networking - including wifi - to still be done via the NVG589. 

When we had the NVG510, which I do not believe had a true bridge mode, I was able to do this - although traffic from my ASA was still being routed thru my NVG510's LAN prior to reaching the net. 

So I have a few questions:

What is the difference between cascaded router and using ip pass through to put a router behind the nvg589?

Next, if I use ip pass though, does it disable all other networking that is going on inside the nvg589? Or could I use it to connect a cisco ASA using one of my static ip addresses, while still using the wifi and other wired networking ports on the NVG589? Could I use ip,pass through to set up my own network with a static ip for my own uses while still allowing my family to use the NVG 589 as they have been? 

if I did not do a good job of explaining this please let me know. And if anyone has any ideas how to achieve what I'm looking for, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

Mike

Community Support

• 

1.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi Mike,

I have received your message. Welcome to the community. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here, and I am sure we can assist you.

-David T

Community Support

• 

6.7K Messages

10 years ago

Hi,

Just posting the information I sent to you in private message, so it is available to the public.

The NVG589 and NVG510 use identical firmware, so you should have no problems continuing with your previous setup.

With Cascaded router, it is suppose to pass the static block to your router so it can handle the traffic. Passthrough will bridge the connection so that device will act as if it is connected to the outside WAN that your U-verse connection is using. Also, passthrough will passthrough traffic and ignore any of the port blocking rules.

With passthrough, it does not disable any of the routing, so you will be able to use your Cisco ASA along with other devices connected directly to the NVG589.

Hope this helps.

-David T

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

So, if I used an AP like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0ED-0005-00048

I would just use IP Passthrough, turn off the NVG589 wifi, and I should be good? I would still do port forwarding through the NVG589 on my two wireless cameras? I also have a wired ethernet alarm system that is port forwarded, would I keep that on the NVG or through the AP? And will my wireless Uverse receiver still work if it connects to the AP instead of the NVG589?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.