For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
danetherton's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 17th, 2014 2:09 AM

Kitkat for Galaxy S4 Zoom

I am seeing lots of chatter about Kitkat deploying for all these Samsung phones. I got the S4 Zoom for the camera, and am looking forward to Kitkat, but WHEN WILL I GET IT?!?! I love my little camera with a phone on it, and it takes wonderful photos, almost as well as my Canon SX50! BUT I WANT KITKAT!!! Can anyone tell me when or where to get it? My phone just says "your software is up to date (4.2.2). No it isn't!!! Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Ambassador

• 

518 Messages

10 years ago

Hi danetherton, 

Thanks for reaching out. We apologize for the negative experience. It look like your device should still be running Android 4.2.2 according to out records. However you can check on the latest Kitkat updates here: http://bit.ly/1ruQxzJ. If you have any other questions please feel free to reach out. ^Jake  

Samsung Support

Scholar

• 

124 Messages

10 years ago

It's suppose to have KitKat, at least that's what AT&T advertises for it, but phonearena is showing that it still only has Jelly Bean. Have you tried downloading Kies onto your computer and plugging the phone in? It may be able to be updated like that. Though, it could have the problem that my S3 had and wouldn't update to KitKat at all, still won't, not even through Kies, just keeps wanting to say that the update was interrupted, and that it's up to date (one of the reasons I upgraded to the S5). Your best bet is to take it to Best Buy and go to the mobile area, they can update firmware there for usually no cost.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T and Samsung have a problem, and for folks in a number of states, a legal one. Both have listed it as having 4.4 KitKat for some time now and not a single person I've chatted with has seen this update. Or any updates for that matter. Even Telcel (Mexico) has managed to at least send out a couple of OTAs (granted no KK updates yet from what I hear).

I already posted on their (AT&T and Samsung) FB and G+ that they have til the end of the week to address this or complaints will be filed with the proper agencies and that more aggressive action will be taken.

Samsung Official Specs as of July 17th 2014

AT&T Official Specs as of at least Sept 2nd 2014

(if it doesn't load use http://web.archive.org/ and search for " http://www.att.com/cellphones/samsung/galaxy-s-4-zoom.html ")

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

After a chat with AT&T tech support they have no clue if the KitKat update even exists much less if this device will ever see it. 

"I apologize, but we're not able to update it and I'm sorry you were misinformed, but we didn't advertize that.
There may have been a misunderstanding somewhere."

couple minutes later

"I checked and actually we do have that software update available."

So according to AT&T Tech Support, the KitKat update is out and has been since....wait for it...

"We also don't know when we'll have it available. We apologize this was advertised wrongly, but that's it's capabilities, it may not be available yet."

If this forum is watched by AT&T at all, I give you this.

Push the update now with a public apology for the falsely listed specifications or upgrade S4 Zoom owners to a current equivalent that does run KitKat which would be the S5 Zoom. Otherwise I will pursue this with the proper respective agencies and more aggressively push the matter in social media and tech news. And let me remind you that I'm not some random customer but the same guy that had his campaign against Motorola directly mentioned by CNet, XDA Developers, and other sites, when Motorola failed to update a number of devices to ICS.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

10 years ago

The current listing (not even the wayback link) shows it as having "kitkat 4.4".

Weird. But then it looks like it's the same boilerplate as Samsung's site.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

you do realize humans do make mistakes on listings right?  And ATT has the law part covered in this case.  Mistakes happen and fine print usually covers there butt.

10. PRODUCT AND SERVICE INFORMATION

AT&T does not warrant that information, graphic depictions, product and service descriptions or other content of the Sites is accurate, complete, reliable, updated, current, or error-free. Despite our efforts, it is possible that a price for a product or service offered on the Site may be inaccurate or the product or service description may contain an inaccuracy. In the event AT&T determines that a product or service contains an inaccurate price or description, AT&T reserves the right to take any action it deems reasonable and necessary, in its sole discretion, to rectify the error, including without limitation canceling your order, unless prohibited by law. AT&T may make improvements or changes to any of its content, information products, services, or programs described on the Sites at any time without notice. You agree to notify AT&T immediately if you become aware of any pricing or descriptive errors or inconsistencies with any products or services you order through the Sites and comply with any corrective action taken by AT&T.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

AT&T has been notified via multiple channels for over a month now. But if AT&T has no responisibility to make sure the information is accurate, then willfully change the specs to say it runs Android Zebra Cake and has a 300GP camera with a 1000x optical zoom. Because with that clause they can say and do what ever they want with absolutly no responsibility or repercussions.Who wants accountability and facts in the U.S. anyways?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

the problem here is the fact that samsung supplied the specs and there wrong on there site.  Its a nitch phone anyway.  I wish my galaxy camera would get kit kat also but it wont

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I've looked at the specs for not only the specific models but at least 20 carriers/regions world wide. The AT&T S4 Zoom is the only one I can find with this discrepancy. As far as Samsung goes, they were notifed of the discrepancy on their site some time ago as well.

Nitch product has nothing to do with it. Either it has 4.4 or it doesn't.  But hey, $500 for device that has never receive any updates and wrong specs is just fine as long as AT&T makes money.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

there is one thing I have learned I wont buy a samsung phone because of how slow the updates are.  Heck the s5 is waiting for 4.4.4

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.