For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
A

• 

25.7K Messages

Thursday, April 9th, 2015 4:13 AM

Can't upgrade Samsung Galaxy S4 to Lollipop

I have tried to update my phone twice.  It downloads the 900+ MEG.  Then when it tried to apply the update,  it gets to about 32% and then reboots.  Then says the update failed.  When I try and check for update it now says I have to wait 24 hours.

What can I do to get the update.  Have been waiting a long time.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Had the same exact problem but I found out that you need a minimum of 3 GB of space for lollipop, and the 3 GB is freed after the update is complete

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I have the exact same issue.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  I was on wifi and it was downloading slowly and it stopped twice.  I was able to restart the download a few times but it failed all 3 times.  Now I'm stuck in limbo because it says I'm up to date and need to wait 24 hours.  I verified my version and no it didn't update 😞

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Same issue here. I've tried 3 times to install the update and it has failed.

This seems to be a typical occurance when AT&T rolls out new firmware upgrades. Late last year when they rolled out an update for the S5, many customers couldn't install it on their phones. Some had to go to AT&T service centers to have their devices reflashed in order to install the update.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

have you all tried to factory reset and see if you can get the update that way?  Just make sure to back up your data.

OR you can take the phone to a samsung experience center inside best buy and have them flash the upgrade for you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I called my local Best Buy to see if the Samsung Experience Associates could try the update for me.  They said they could but I need to have 3G free on my device.

Well 80% of my storage space is system requirements & AT & T apps that I didn't put on my phone.  I've put everything to my SD card that will go there but I'm still stuck with all these AT & T apps that I don't use.  Can't delete them.  Can turn them off but they still use space.

I'm assuming only having 1.8G free is my problem.  My hands are tied at this point if this is the problem because I'm not deleting the few apps I do have that I actually wanted.

Frustrated!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

do a factory reset and it will set it back to stock. which is more than 3gigs of free space.  

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:

do a factory reset and it will set it back to stock. which is more than 3gigs of free space.  

@GLIMMERMAN76 is right a factory reset should do the trick. However something that I found with backing up with Kies... after the backup restore before the update... for some reason restoring after the upgrade to Lollipop did not reinstall my previous apps, the all had to be redownloaded. usually all the non purchased apps are reinstalled on my phone without the need to redownload when doing this way but not this time.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I was finally able to install the Lollipop update without having to do a factory reset. First, I made sure I had at least of 1.5Gb of available space on my phone. I then cleared Cached data (Settings>More>Storage). I then Cleared data in my Download Manager (Settings>More>Application Manager>All). Once the installation passed the 36% mark, I was confident it was going to complete the update. The update is definitely worth it!

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Just to update folks.  I deleted files on my phone to get above 3 GB.  Then downloaded the OTA file for the 3rd time.  This time it installed without issues.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.