For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
ATTMobilityCare's profile
Community Support

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

Friday, October 23rd, 2015 4:07 PM

Software Update Installation Interrupted on Select Samsung Android 5.0 Devices

Summary

AT&T has received reports of some customers experiencing software update installation interruptions/failures when attempting to upgrade to Android 5.1 on select Samsung devices.  The device is still usable but the latest software update cannot be installed.

The following devices are affected:

• Galaxy Note 4 (N910A)
  • Galaxy S 5 (G900A)
  • Galaxy S6 active (SM-G890A)
  • Galaxy S 5 Mini (SM-G800A)

Resolution

The issue may be related to available storage memory on the device.   If clearing space does not resolve the issue, the device can be updated to the latest version of software at an AT&T DSC or Best Buy Samsung location.

To resolve the issue:

1. Clear Cached Data
  • Tap Settings > Storage > Cached data > Clear Cached data
  • Try downloading the software update again
  1. Create at least 4 to 7 GB of free storage space
    • Tap Settings > System Tab > Storage > Available Space to check current storage usage
    • Delete Unnecessary files (such as Pictures/Video/Music Files) or take advantage of the AT&T Locker to upload your photos and videos to the cloud.
    • Note: For information on backing up your device, visit com/devicehowto and look for “Backup & Restore” in the topic list
  1. Visit an AT&T Device Support Center or Best Buy location for help updating to the latest software

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTHelp and @DIRECTVService

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Still need help? Ask a question! Our 1.4 million members typically respond within 1 hour.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I did what was recommended, I currently have 5.61Gb of available storage when I downloaded the update and when it restarted to do the update I left it alone, when I came back it said the the update was interrupted. Can someone please tell what else to do? And this crap of at&t having to wait 24 hours after crap like this happens to try again, is pretty annoying as well... It also leaves the continue update there since I downloaded the update but unselectable, so I have to download it again every time I've tried to update, which is not funny as well...

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

U need almost 7gb free on the phone.

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Update: After switching my SIM card with my mother's, the updates went through! Now running 5.1.1.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

That's *** that you have to have 6 to 7 gig of free space when the phone comes with 4G of crap on it. That means I have to get all my photos 2g and half my apps off my device for the update to work.  *** with that I'll be looking back into an Apple device when I can get a new phone. That's redicilous.

[word filter avoidance]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

It's a 16 gig phone

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

Same thing with an iPhone. Have you ever used Google Photos to backup your
pics and videos? You can always do a backup on the computer and then put
stuff back on your device afterwards, or move content to an SD card.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

Could ATT possibly host the update file so it can be downloaded and installed through Recovery? My wife's phone is still having this issue. None of these solutions have worked.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Samsung phones can't do that. Take it to a best buy and have the Samsung
folks flash it for you

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

8 years ago

Yup! Like he said, Samsung experience shop in Best Buy can update it or if
you have an ATT Device Support Center they can do it as well.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

8 years ago

I took it to two Best Buys. It took them 20 minutes each to figure out they could not actually do the upgrade. Not because of my phone - because they could not do it.

For me the main thing is that no-one is saying that the update is worth it. I stopped pursuing it. Not worth the prize if no-one can see any benefit in the update.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.