For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
torarato's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, November 27th, 2016 7:41 PM

Shattered Screen

I recently bought a S7 active because it is suppose to be more rugged. After a 2 foot drop onto a flat surface, the screen shattered. Is there anything I can do besides coughing up the deposit for an insurance claim?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@torarato You might want to check the cost of just replacing the screen compared to the deductable.  The deductable is probably $229 for a new phone (or something super high that's more than a screen repair). Check your claim information on-line.

Just like on a car, if it's a $200 repair and you have a $500 deductable, you're not going to turn it in are you? 

Also, depending on where you live, Asurion is now doing local $89 deductable screen repairs  https://protectioncenter.att.com/content/dam/asurion/attmdpp/surterms.pdf

This is VERY new and I haven't seen any feedback on it yet.

Sorry, doesn't look like this is for the S7 yet.

When solved / helped, please mark your question as solved by clicking "Accept solution".

This helps other people to find an answer more quickly.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

The screen replacement for a s7active is about 375 bucks. The whole phone had to be taken apart to get to the screen

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
The screen replacement for a s7active is about 375 bucks. The whole phone had to be taken apart to get to the screen

WHOA!!!! And people say iPhone stuff is expensive!! 

That's worth the insurance claim. 

Is it cheaper on the S6, that would make the $89 replacement option make more sense...?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

People have not realized waterproofing costs money. Once a repair is done to a iPhone 7 it's no longer water proof.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
People have not realized waterproofing costs money. 

Are you telling me the s7 is waterproof? 

It makes sense it would cost more to re-waterproof, but that's half the cost of the phone....

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

The S7 Active is water resistant just like the iPhone 7. But a proper repair on the s7 active will make it water resistant again. You can't do that with a iPhone 7

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Apple also uses old LCD tech. AMOLED screens are most of the time glued to the glass.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
The S7 Active is water resistant just like the iPhone 7. But a proper repair on the s7 active will make it water resistant again. You can't do that with a iPhone 7

They don't have the ability to do a "proper repair" on the iPhone 7? Why not?

FYI, If it's $149 for not water resistant vs. $375, I'd pass on having it be water resistant...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

It's all about how apple sealed the phone from all the repair videos I have seen.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@GLIMMERMAN76 wrote:
It's all about how apple sealed the phone from all the repair videos I have seen.

They might not be doing screen repairs, they might just be swapping them.  

It's been a long while since I had a screen issue and Apple handed me back the same phone.

Last time I had a screen problem (Aug/Sept 2015 with a 5s) they actually pulled the whole phone apart to verify the screen and other components were real Apple parts that I was giving them and then handed me a fully assembled one to replace it. (I don't think they normally show it apart to the customer, but I was asking geeky questions).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.