For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Mace, Danvee and Ark42, I cant say how much I appreciate your guidance.

ATT can delete, block, omit and censor all they want.  In the end I will be liberated from your uninformed bracket of ignorance and misleading advisories.  As I am sure that the support reps are good people trying to do their job under policies that a person standing alone would not abide, what is offered by ATT to the people who have chosen them to provide a cell service is far from what is advertised. 

So please enjoy our discussion and try to pay attention as we ignore you and help each other instead because it is the only option we have left.

Thank you

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

But, note that any of these modifications void your warranty. 

So, again, in order to stay with AT&T and still have a phone which can allow us to use all of the features for which we've contracted and are paying, we need to give up our warranty. 

What part of that makes sense to anyone with an IQ above room temperature? 

Also, m.a.s.e, they are rooted and using custom ROMs. Problem is still there. 

Might need to go with 4.2.2 or higher, but I'm pretty sure that's a kludge.

The International models that these ROM's are ported from have different hardware than the AT&T S3.

We were 'lucky' enough to get 4.1.2 a couple of weeks ago..... 

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Danvee,   It's a very difficult decision to make as the warranty is important, especially to people like myself who work a physical job and my phone can take a beating unless I take it off my person.  So I know exactly where you are coming from.

As for me I am approaching the halfway point in my contract that includes 2 phones so I do not mind so much parting with the $ETF$ to open the doors to freedom from this mistake.

I don't have time to spend on the phone doing basic steps I know will not work after reading this forum.  Additionally, I cannot rely on the remote chance that my phone will connect with my wife's phone in the event of an emergency situation which has actually happened on 2 occasions and failed.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

I'm not really sure what you guys think the warranty covers. If your phone is going to break, it's almost certainly going to be from one of the things the warranty does NOT cover anyway: dropped and broken screen, water damage, etc. If the hardware is going to fail for some reason that would make the phone actually need the warranty, it will almost certainly fail within the first few weeks. After you've had it for months, the warranty is more or less meaningless.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Good point Ark, see Danvee?  Warranty is useless so start ruuting!

Actually I probably lose a little more since I bit onto the extended warranty bait.

Mentor

• 

38 Messages

11 years ago

@Ark42 wrote:

I'm not really sure what you guys think the warranty covers. If your phone is going to break, it's almost certainly going to be from one of the things the warranty does NOT cover anyway: dropped and broken screen, water damage, etc. If the hardware is going to fail for some reason that would make the phone actually need the warranty, it will almost certainly fail within the first few weeks. After you've had it for months, the warranty is more or less meaningless.

This is quite true but the warranty is so valuble in the event the AT&T software were to fail on the phone. Say for instance the AT&T software prevented the phone from receiving calls and texts!  /sarcasm

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

Sarcastic maybe but has anyone tried that idea????????  If so I'd LOVE to hear how the story ended.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

@Samsunk-Failaxy wrote:

Sarcastic maybe but has anyone tried that idea????????  If so I'd LOVE to hear how the story ended.

Yep. I didn't use the same argument, but I did get several warranty replacements for my phone, even a warranty upgrade to the S3 I have now. Ultimately, you're still getting a phone with AT&T's software, so the issue should still be there.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

11 years ago

So the issue still exists in your latest replacement?

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

@Samsunk-Failaxy wrote:

So the issue still exists in your latest replacement?

Indeed it does. I started this desperate search for a solution close to a year ago on a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Went through the normal "replace your SIM" crap until they sent me to a warranty center where they wiped my phone and reinstalled the factory software, and then I finally got a different Skyrocket altogether. When that didn't work, they sent me through the normal channels again before I asked to speak to one of their CS managers, who authorized the warranty upgrade to the S3. I should really call again and explain to them that I can't use LTE and see what they can do for me. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.