For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

that is so frustrating....... i have five phones (two HTC One) (two galaxy s4) and one galaxy s4 active, all of them have the same issue........so even the blind and deaf people can tell this problem has nothing to do with the phone....it's provider failure, probably the towers are too old now and can't handle that fast speed 4g LTE signal with increased customers calls since AT&T start unlimited talk & text....the same issue has appeared with Verizon last year and the customers still experiencing same issue with bad coverage signal and drop calls....also this issue has a lot to do with FCC, because they have horrible rules about spectrum...thats why the communication companies can't expanding easily, because they have to buy another company to use their spectrum and upgrade their towers... that will cost billions of dollars

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

Has the update helped our issue any? I am going to go off the workaround and see if the phone still misses calls and gets texts late. Will post my results here, please post yours, too!

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

11 years ago

@contactparag wrote:

Solution (might work) 

Solution might be to disable LTE. Following steps are for S3 - not sure about other phones.

Found from one thread which was talking about saving battery.

1) While the phone turned is On - Remove back cover and press SIM card to move it out of slot (but not completely) - Don't remove battery
2) Phone will recognize there's no SIM & it will prompt for restart
3) Restart phone
4) After phone is turned on - Dial *#2263#  &  Wait for next options to appear
5) Select WCDMA & under that WCDMA All (I think it's for HSPA+/3G)
6) Press SIM card back
7) Restart phone

This solution works.. But you will be disabling LTE (not a big deal)..

I have received more in credit than what I paid for phone & I am out of contract after I sent (physical) Dispute Letter (google for AT&T dispute form)..

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

kinda I figured it out... i used to leave the WIFI on all the time, either connected to my house router or my work. i did test the db signal while its connected to WIFI, and it was to high. when i turned the WIFI off, the db signal went low, and all my five phones at home are working fine for two days now.... i think the problem is ATT update different 4G LTE BANDS and the phones are still on 12 band. so probably thats one of the reason, plus the WIFI is conflict too with the signal.... i know it doesn't make any sense, but first try to turn off the WIFI for a two days and check it. if you still have this problem turn the 4G LTE off, and leave it on HSPA or 4G only....... BTW i did my experiment on two HTC ONE, two Galaxy S4, and one Galaxy S4 Active.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I have had the same issue since January. Have used 5 different Samsung  devices, 3 sim cards, over 10 hours talking to at&t reps. the s4 running 4.2.2 has the same issue. I hate to say it because of how much I love my note II but looks like iPhone 5 may be the only solution to the problem... AT&T will be losing my business of 5 lines shortly. 

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

11 years ago

Does the iPhone not use 4G LTE? From what I've been able to gather online, this problem only applies if you're hooked into a 4G LTE tower. And I can confirm it definitely occurs on a Galaxy S4 - both the missed incoming calls and the delayed notifications of voicemail. SMS messages seem to come through with no delays.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

11 years ago

I think the most recent iPhone iteration does, my sister has one and complains about both the delayed SMS/MMS delivery issue, as well as missed calls (actually she notices "random voice mails" but the underlying issue is her phone doesn't even ring/connect sometimes). I'm 99% sure her iPhone is LTE capable because she got super braggy about that last fall, and I had to show her that LTE had been out for a while and that other phones had been using it for a year+ before she would believe me that it was nothing super new, just new for Apple apparently...

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

11 years ago

Also, I know the issue also affects Windows Phone 8, as a guy here in the office has the same two issues

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

From what I gather online, Iphones seem like they are not having the issue any longer.  It appears that they did, originally, but some type of update resolved it.  My wife has an iphone 4, haven't seen the problem occur on it.  Many people in this forum seem to be having luck with the Iphone 5.  Any one having this problem still with an Iphone???

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I have a galaxy note II.  It doesn't have a way to disable LTE in the settings but I was able to call AT&T [unpublished number removed] and they disabled the LTE on the phone.  LTE dissapeared from the top of my phone, so I think it was done effectively, but I still had the problem with missing calls and text messages.  I have also tried leaving WIFI off, but didn't seem to help.  Has anyone been able to get their phones to stop doing this??? Please share your experiences...

AT&T reps don't have a clue.  Technical support is just a call center by Convergys, they don't even work for AT&T.  No wonder they Don't know about this nor do they care.  It is costing a lot of us our businesses, friends and relationships, or atleast straining them! 

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY DIRECT PHONE NUMBERS TO MANAGERS WTIH AT&T OR TO A SUPERVISOR OR HIGHER LEVEL OF TECHNICAL SUPPORT??? PLEASE POST USEFUL INFO. 

OVER 138,000 PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED AT THIS THREAD, THAT TELLS ME THAT ATLEAST THAT MANY ARE STRUGGLING WITH THIS ISSUE STILL!!!  I AM IN UTAH, NO FIX YET HERE. PLEASE SHARE WHERE YOU ARE AS WELL, MAYBE IT IS BEING ADRESSED BY AREA?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.