For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Shawna,

lets back track and do some REAL troubleshooting...

forget all that CSR told u or tried to sell u....

first, lets clarify. 4g and LTE are two different things... 

LTE is data only while 4G (which is really 3G with a logo for 4G) is both data and voice. 

the issue here is that the phone while on LTE cant handle the proper change between DATA and voice, 

as mentioned above LTE is for data only. 

so ur phone cant do the switch from data only to voice and data network to accept the call... thats the issue, SMS comes on voice data, not LTE data, so same rules apply. 

answer me this please:

right now on ur phone, do u see LTE or 4G? 

do not do the solution on page one, that does not work. 

do this instead: 

1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

by doing this u will be forcing ur phone to use 4G only (voice and data),

do that, do some testing (phone calls and SMS) and report back. 

by process of elimination we can check the exact issue on ur phone. 

PS - i am assuming ur suing a samsung galaxy s3 with jelly bean 4.1.1 installed.... 

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

@m.a.s.e. No. I have the S2. I stated that in my first post LOL. So far the change of my access point name (APN) that jan_raghavan suggested appears to be working. This is being supported by jamileh of AT&T as an acceptable solution for the time being. Since I made the change the icon went from 4G LTE to 4G only. I won't really know if it's working until I get an E-Mail or someone tells me they kept calling but I couldn't be reached. Thank you for your responses. If the first fix doesn't help I'm sure I'll be back trying yours.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

sure thing 🙂 

have an awesome day,

and remember - ur paying for LTE but cant use it...

gota love ATT

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Yeah, but even if/when this issue is fixed (like say, with JB 4.2.x), we're still paying for LTE that we can't use for more than about 4 minutes per month (Google does the math for me: https://www.google.com/search?q=1%20GB%20%2F%2035%20Mbps )

I hardly see the point, compared to the ability to buy phones and just not have a data plan to begin with (because honestly, there is Wifi anywhere I really care to use non-voice/text stuff)

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Barbara Gish-Case
Could you please tell me why when I text my husband from my iPhone 4S to his galaxy S 3, he never gets it ? We are both in the same area. It appears that my text was successfully and I can see that he never receives it. Sometime we are just a few miles apart and sometime we are together the entire day. It has also been happening with my daughter.
It is extremely annoying.Like · · 51 minutes ago near Greenville, KY

Lisa Nicole Brown likes this.

Alfa Dorid It is the 4glte that is causing this alot of are having that problem
13 minutes ago · Like · 1

Alfa Dorid Go here and you wil see http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Calls-Phone-issue-or-Android/td-p/3270741
AT&T Community Support
forums.att.com

11 minutes ago · Like · 1 · Remove Preview

Barbara Gish-Case I just really wish it didn't appear that they received the text. It's causing a lot of problems
11 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Barbara Gish-Case Thank you
10 minutes ago via mobile · Unlike · 1

Alfa Dorid I know your pain people would call or text me and i get them very late or not at all , in the forum you will find some temp. fi

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Like mase i am glad i could help someone today. with no help form any at&t rep at all smh.

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I went a step further guys and posted this on samung facebook page guys 

I love my GS3 but AT&T is really making your phone look bad when we are not able to use are 4g lte here is a forum where alot of us are having this problem wish you guys can help them fix this. http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Samsung-Galaxy-S3-Not-Receiving-Calls-Phone-issue-or-Android/td-p/3270741/highlight/false

AT&T Community Support
forums.wireless.att.com    https://www.facebook.com/SamsungMobileUSA

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Can u please post a direct link too your comment on Samsung facebook? There are so many comments there I'm having a hard time funding yours

Explorer

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

having trouble with a link but on the right side it is alfra dorid second one down

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

Called ATT today, asking if there is a solution in the near future, the rep who answered had no idea what i am talkingabout. 

i tried to refer to this thread, but she said they are not allowed to read links, even if they are internal.

after suggesting to replace my phone, sim, get a booster, talk to samsung etc i gave up. 

thanks her and hung up. 

i trully believe ATT should offer a way out of the contract without paying fees since i am paying for a service that i cannot get. 

my phone is completely a paperwight when on LTE,

all 3 of my phones, all 3 same issue, all 3 started the same time. 

does anyone know of a solution to this issue other then disabeling LTE? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.