For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
j5k's profile

Teacher

• 

1 Message

Friday, August 10th, 2012 12:15 AM

Closed

Samsung Galaxy S3 Not Receiving Calls - Phone issue or Android issue?

I just got a Samsung S3 a week ago.  I have received calls and texts on it, but it appears that I am missing calls.  Somebody tried calling me 6-7 times in a row in a 30 minute time span yesterday and it never rang, and only one of those showed up as a missed call.  Today, the same thing happened again with two calls, and neither appeared in my missed call log.  They sent a text and it didn't appear until about 20 minutes after it was sent.

I live in a built up area where there should be good coverage, and looked at the map and am rated as "best coverage."  In the past six months, there were maybe two incidents at most when my old phone (not a smart phone) did not ring.  I have a normal amount of bars on my phone.

During both of these incidents, my phone was not in use, and the ringer was on with sufficent volume.

Does anybody have any recommendations for solving this?

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

the APN solution is not a solution at all.
the reason why u get the emergency calls is cause the phone is looking for the APN config each time it searches for a network.
and get "confused"

the code i gave is going directly into the phone hard coded configuration, not necessarily the "rom configuration" and disable LTE altogether permanently.
thats why it works.
its like unlocking your phone for any SIM (which can be done for free, if they will allow me to post instructions i will, but something tell me they will not).

but, as you said. both are NOT a solution.
we are being charged for LTE usage, while in fact if we are on LTE it result in a 700$ paperweight.....

JB 4.2 is out for a really long time now, but we all need for ATT to add their bloatware to the ROM before they release it...
that same bloatware that actually broke the LTE on the phone....

Voyager

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Just wanted to add Atlanta market to the list.  My wife and I got Samsung Galaxy Express phones back in mid January and have since had constant issues with missing calls and excessively late texts.  At times, we can call the other's phone and it won't get the call.  We can wait five minutes and the call will go through...wait five more and nothing again.  And showing 3+ steady bars the whole time on both phones (and steady LTE). 

We've both tried the APN workaround, but it's buggy at best.  As several people have already noted, more calls come through, but we're frequently losing data connection.  This is not a solution (but thank you to the people who posted it - At least we're consistently getting calls now). 

I've contacted ATT customer service and stopped by a store and neither have been helpful.  Sim card was replaced in both phones w/ no change.  A network ticket was supposedly opened a few weeks ago, but I still haven't heard anything.

Atlanta seems to be pretty well covered by ATT, but we've run into this issue all over north Atlanta.  If we were in the boonies, I would expect something like this, but we're in a metro area w/ good coverage. 

ATT - you need to fix this!  I definitely want a refund for the lack of LTE, but more importantly, I want a functional phone!  I bought the phones to make/get calls, emails, texts, AND use LTE data and I'm not able to!  We're paying too much money to get shoddy service.  I've been a customer for 6+ years and my wife even longer.   But if this doesn't get fixed soon, I'm going back to Verizon. 

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

ATT Reps. any update on this? 

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

Pretty sure this is happening to me too. Me and my wife both have Galaxy S3s and just yesterday I sent her a few text... no reply.. called... no answer. I waited around for 20 minutes wondering what was going on, since I knew she was at home, and she was expecting me to contact her. I finally opened VNC on my phone, connected to my home computer, and sent her an instant message from my home computer, to which she immediately replied, saying she had no texts or missed calls. Hours later, all of the texts came through to her phone all at once, but no notification of the missed calls.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

So the people are starting to realize the officials are acting a little shady, eh?

Anyway, something DOES need to be done... If I knew how to code, or how to compile a rom/radio, I'd be all over this. Its become an aggrivation. I've basically had to turn off my data service, which was the only reliable way to make sure that I receive all the calls that I need to receive.

I agree with the others, we need to hear an exact timeline from AT&T, with a verifiable name attached to it. Sorry, but Jamileh and Taylarie we need someone above you to respond here.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

I requested oh so many tines for this to be escalated.
I am confident 200% we will be hushed until jelly bean 4.2 will be officially released by att.
Just FYI, 4.2.1 had been out for some time now. but att is notorious in being super slow.
In customer service, repair or push updates....
I highly doubt we will hear back with an official response and I highly doubt we will get a resolution before4.2 will be out.

Explorer

• 

17 Messages

11 years ago

I live in the Detroit area, and have had 4 Samsung phones in a year's time with this exact same problem. The start was pre LTE rollout in Detroit, with a Captivate Glide running ICS. I then had an S2 Skyrocket with ICS that worked until the LTE rollout in September, then went back to the same issues. AT&T replaced it with a refurbished Skyrocket that had the issue right out of the box. I was then given my S3 in January, running ICS, and it also had the issues right out of the box. I took it in to the service center, where JB was installed. Missed a call from the wife on the way home from the service center. So, I do not hold out much hope that JB 4.2 will solve this. We can hope tho!

I would like to thank m.a.s.e. for the code workaround. For the first time in a year I have a reliable working phone, if not LTE. You have done more for me here than AT&T has in a year.

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

You are welcome my friend.
Wish I could do more

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

11 years ago

@m.a.s.e wrote:

In the meanwhile you can bandaid this issue by temporarily disable lte until a fix is found.

Here is how:
1) With phone on, take off back cover and press your SIM card so it releases from the spring. It won't come all the way out as it's blocked by the battery. This seems fine - I didn't bother trying to force it out as I didn't want to break anything...
2) Once you see the message that the SIM card is removed, go to the dialer and dial *#2263#
3) You should see a menu with band selections. The current setting is "Automatic". If you switch to "GSM All", you will be EDGE (2G). If you switch to "WCDMA All", you will be on HSPA+ (3G, though AT&T and others call it 4G).
4) Press the SIM card back into place until it clicks. For whatever reason the phone will not recognize it until you reboot. Upon reboot you should see your new setting in effect

Does this issue only affect JB 4.1.1, or ICS 4.0 too? I didn't notice it until recently, but only my phone has been updated to JB 4.1.1. My wife's is still on the stock ICS 4.0. Also, LTE was only recently (Jan 1, 2013 I think) turned on in Grand Rapids, MI...

Scholar

• 

90 Messages

11 years ago

It seems that this issue affect sg3 and 4.1.1
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.