Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
bbong718's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, August 18th, 2016 6:46 PM

Galaxy S7 WiFi stopped working after latest update

Hi,

I see that I'm not the only one having this issue now, but when it first surfaced after the update, I seemed to be like the only one without anyone else experiencing. After the July 27th update came in I guess which enabled WiFi Calling, my WiFi on the phone stopped working, by stopped I mean it connects to the AP but nothing over WiFi works.

At first I thought that there maybe something wrong with my network as I recently had to down it and replace all UPS batteries, but all other WiFi devices remain working perfectly fine but not the S7 phones.

My WiFi router is: Asus RT-N66U connected to Linux Server that issues DHCP addresses, Linux's FW is configured to allow all traffic out while having keep state flags on traffic that was initiated from my network that needs to come back.

I have updated my WIFI router with the latest firmware, rebooted made sure all WiFi devices work, but S7 is still not working.

I looked high and low on the internet to any other problems related to what I've been seeing and there weren't many recent one, but now I see that some are popping up.

I've followed all instructions to try and troubleshoot it.

1) Erase Cache Partition 

2) Forget Network

3) Reset Network Settings

4) Factory Reset

Nothing helped, where I finally went into ATT store and told them what the issue was, and they verified on 3 of the APs that they had there that the issue isn't there, so the phone seems to work fine on any other WiFi but not mine. If someone comes in and connects to my WiFi they don't have any problems either.

Nontheless they went ahead and ordered replacement for both of my phones, my wifes phone came in first, it was without the latest update and WiFi was working, but since the update has been pushed anyway, the replacement phone no longer has a working WiFi either.

Help!?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Update:

After calling ATT they referred me to Samsung, to which Samsung couldn't troubleshoot it and said to take it to Best Buy Samsung Experience to rollback the update. If time allows today I'll try and pop in by a local Best Buy and see what they say.

Another interesting thought is that, some sites load, the main google page seems to load fine, others load partially or not at all just hang there. Chrome reports: ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE. I'm wondering whether something changed in fragmentation of pockets something like Jumbo Frames, MTU incompatibility... only guessing at this point.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Update:

Got the latest update pushed onto my phone by Best Buy Samsung Experience, reset network settings afterwards and still, no WiFi. 😞

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Update: 

Went into Best Buy to buy a new Wireless Router hoping that it could be it, unfortunately it is not, this is implanted deep at the network level, next up will be moving my Linux Server behind WiFi Router as the gateway.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I'm having the exact same issues on my galaxy s7 I mean the same to a T and have done everything you have done with no solution.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Hi,

I'm unsure what happened really, but I between work and how much time I already spent on it, I have pin-pointed the issue being on my Server side (Linux). Something at Masquarading level between the S7 devices and my server Masq. cause this behavior to happen.

I reset the whole stack, flushed firewall rules, DHCP cache, removed all ARP rules, updated server to newer version of Linux, disabled IPV6 routing, even switched Network cards so routes would be different, the result was still the same. Linux did not want to route pockets coming out of the two S7's.

Also another interesting thing being AT&T MicroCell they sent me, would not register over my Server, so then I did a test as at one point I thought it could have maybe been my ISP blocking something at Application Level, so I decided to put my Asus RT-N66 router as the one giving out DHCP addresses and doing NAT as oppose to my Linux Server and then everything started working, MicroCell registered, both S7 phones worked fine, so I knew it wasn't anything ISP was blocking.

Since then I have put my server behind the Asus router, I'll try and reinstall the Server, while leaving the Asus router in place for now, since everything is working. Also the replacement phone ATT sent me I sent back as mine started working now fine and it looks like the problem was somewhere in Masquarading on Linux and when time allows, I'll have a closer look at it and maybe find the culprit in this.

Hope this helps, not a real solution for those who manage their own servers and do ipchains/tables themselves.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Any new updates on this situation mine is still not working and I've Managed to use 25gb of data this month because I can't use my wifi.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

Change your Router is what worked for me.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Is there a specific router I need? I've changed my router out with some extras I have laying around, none of that helped.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.