For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Ht0wn G's profile

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, September 15th, 2012 1:38 AM

Wireless receiver workaround to avoid initial boot all the time?

Hello everyone...

I just swapped out a wired receiver for the new wireless ones that AT&T offers. I have the gateway, WAP and DVR upstairs and the wireless downstairs. Before, with the wired receiver, you could turn the tv off and it would display the "AT&T Uverse" splash screen. Then you are able to just press ok to watch tv again.

With the wireless receiver, if you turn off the tv, the receiver also turns off. You have to wait for it to turn back on, go through its "pairing" sequence with the WAP and whatever else it does during the initial boot-up process.

My question is, will it do that all the time? Or is there some magical trick you can try for it not to take 15-20 minutes every single time it's turned off, for it to be back up to operational standards?

If this is one of the drawbacks of having a wireless receiver, then it looks like it's back to the wired setup. Before it was instant to watch tv, just turn it on, press ok on the AT&T remote and you're set.

Thanks for the soap box and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Edit: wireless receiver is downstairs connected via HDMI to a Toshiba 52" LCD. DVR is upstairs connected via HDMI to a Sony 42" LCD. Gateway is about 2-3 feet from it; WAP is right next to gateway as well.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Ht0wn G - Do you have the STB plugged in to the TV or a power strip that senses a master device turning off that would remove power to the STB?

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

12 years ago

Ht0wn G - There has to be more to the story.

Controlling the STB by the power button on the remote cannot cause a resynch. It does not turn off the STB.

If there is some arrangement where the power feed for the STB is cut off, it would have to resynch when power is restored..

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

This is exactly what happens.

Downstairs TV is off. Turn tv on, and it's programmed to turn the Uverse wireless receiver on as well. TV comes on, receiver goes through pairing/syncing/boot-up process and then all is good. The entire wait time is about 15-20 minutes minimum.

But if you turn off the tv or receiver separately, via the power button on the remote control, the receiver has to go through the whole power on process every time.

Edit: I just tried it to confirm. I tried turning off the tv upstairs by pressing "TV" on the remote first, then the power. It turns off only the tv. The DVR stays on. If you turn on the tv, the Uverse spash screen is showing.

With the downstairs tv, if you do the same sequence, the wireless receiver turns off when you turn off the tv, like if it's oddly connected somehow with the tv power. It goes through the 15-20 boot process before you can watch tv again.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Oh wow, noob...never thought of that.

I have a power strip indeed. I think I remember seeing a "Master" outlet labeled on it and the tv may be connected to it.

It's brand new and guess I just never knew that if there's no power being received on that outlet, that nothing else will get power.

I'll check it out and let you know the results.

Thanks a lot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.