For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
jimgfitzgerald's profile

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

Sunday, July 10th, 2011 8:43 PM

Help Me Understand The HDMI 5.1 DD Issue

I have a Cisco IPN-4320 DVR connected to my tv with HDMI.  I have optical from the DVR to an Onkyo surround sound receiver.  Normally, I watch tv with the surround sound system turned off.  I get sound from the DVR to tv via HDMI.  When I want surround sound, I turn on the Onkyo receiver and get sound from the DVR to Onkyo via optical.  If I leave the Cisco DVR set on stereo, I get simulated surround sound, or I can change the DVR to surround sound and get 5.1.  I would prefer to just leave the DVR set on surround sound, but if the Onkyo is turned off, I don't get any sound from the DVR to the tv via the connected HDMI cable.  Why is that?  This is the exact same setup I used with Charter cable and it worked.  I did a search here and found threads where people are saying U-Verse now transmits 5.1 via HDMI.  Is that not correct or is there something about the way I have my DVR wired that is preventing this?  I'm confused on this issue.  Thanks.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

Thanks.  $15 for 3 adapters is no problem.  I'm really concerned that switching from HDMI to 1/2 a component video signal might be a significant degrade of the picture.  I know moving my Slingbox from component to S-video would be a hugh degrade.  I'll decide tomorrow if I feel like fooling with it and, if so, ride over to Radio Shack.  As you say, I can alway return them.  I think a high quality picture is probably more important than trying to eliminate the manual switching back and forth between stereo and surround sound.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

13 years ago

I just decided to go ahead and try component video.  I unplugged the component cables going to my Slingbox and plugged them into the tv.  The colors are way more vivid and the picture seems much better.  Also, as expected, I can leave the DVR set on surround sound with or without my receiver being on.  I guess tomorrow I will go to Radio Shack and pick up some splitters for the three component video cables and hook my Slingbox back up.  If that doesn't work, I'll try S-video to the Slingbox.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.