Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
don731's profile

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

Sunday, February 22nd, 2015 6:01 PM

DVR playback stuttering

So we have developed a new Uverse problem in the last few weeks.  A recorded show on our DVR, when played on another Uverse box in another room, stutters every 30 seconds to five minutes.  By stuttering, I mean that the audio and video freezes for a second or two, skips a couple of frames, then continues.  This happens only when played on another box.  When a recorded show is viewed directly from the DVR, it plays flawlessly.

I changed the box in the other room for one of our other Uverse boxes (all Cisco).  This did not help.  We also had the 2Wire gateway replaced a week ago, for another problem (frequent rebooting).  The rebooting problem went away.

All our boxes (with the exception of one wireless box) are on good Cat5 cabling.  No change to the system configuration in years....all the netgear switches are good.  

Any ideas?  

Cheers,

Don [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@don731 wrote:

So we have developed a new Uverse problem in the last few weeks.  A recorded show on our DVR, when played on another Uverse box in another room, stutters every 30 seconds to five minutes.  By stuttering, I mean that the audio and video freezes for a second or two, skips a couple of frames, then continues.  This happens only when played on another box.  When a recorded show is viewed directly from the DVR, it plays flawlessly.

I changed the box in the other room for one of our other Uverse boxes (all Cisco).  This did not help.  We also had the 2Wire gateway replaced a week ago, for another problem (frequent rebooting).  The rebooting problem went away.

All our boxes (with the exception of one wireless box) are on good Cat5 cabling.  No change to the system configuration in years....all the netgear switches are good.  

Any ideas?  

Cheers,

Don W.

Barrington, IL

As soon as you mentioned netgear switches, I thought, is he mixing data and TV on the same switch?  You have to keep the two separate as it can cause the problem you are having.  Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

9 years ago

No...same total network setup for the last four years.  

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@don731 wrote:

No...same total network setup for the last four years.  

Here's your next option:

I'd do a whole house reboot.

Unplug the RG and DVR and STB(s)and any WAP for wireless receiver(s), wait 30 seconds and plug the RG back in.

When that turns all green, then plug the DVR back in and wait until it reboots. Then if there is a WAP, plug it in and let it turn green.

Then plug in the STB(s), wait til it reboots and see if stutterting on STB ends.

Acronym Guide so you understand all terms: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/17724

Good luck 😉

Chris

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

9 years ago

Pretty much done all that.  I will reboot the switches.  The other thing I was going to try was to delete old shows off the DVR to provide more space....dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

Based on your saying the RG was replaced, it has to be suspect -

Were the cables connected correctly?

Are they well seated?

Did a cable fail when being moved?

Try swapping the cables to different jacks.

Could be a bad RG.

Mentor

• 

62 Messages

9 years ago

The stuttering began several weeks before the new gateway was installed.  

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

9 years ago

@don731 wrote:

Pretty much done all that.  I will reboot the switches.  The other thing I was going to try was to delete old shows off the DVR to provide more space....dunno if that has anything to do with it.

Thanks!

If you just rebooted this, then that, it's does NOT have the same effect of a whole house reboot. 

Might seem like a hassle, but has solved many problems for other users.  Resets the connection between everything in your system. 😉

Chris

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.