Get Unlimited Talk, Text, & Data for $40/mo. when you sign up for AutoPay. Plus, Mexico & Canada included!
CrispyWalrus's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 7:37 PM

Data Options

I have had an AT&T GoPhone since it was a Cingular KIC Phone.  My SIM card still bears the Cingular logo. 

For over ten years I have just added $100 yearly and continue my balance to the next year.  A few years I have had to purchase more time but typically I only use my cellphone for brief or emergency contact so for many years I carry my balance to the next.

I've been out of commission for a bit.  Coming back I plan to upgrade my phone.  It is an ancient Motorola V180.  Supposedly it was data ready, but I think I tried the browser once when I first got it and found it next to useless.  I have only used it for phone calls.  It does not even have a camera.

According to my current GoPhone plan:  Wi-Fi Data Only for Smartphones, Pay Per Use rate of 1¢ / 5 KB for Basic/Messaging Phones only

I get WiFi.  I was working for a Cisco VAR when they bought Aironet.  My buddy gave me his old (crazy <5yrs is old but whatever) iPhone 3G to try out a smartphone.  It works but I've found being limited to iOS4 is limiting in that it only seems 10% of the apps I want to try work for such an old system.  Still between mine and friends' houses, McDonalds, and Dunkin Donuts WiFi is fairly common and free.

So I have been researching and shopping around for something current.  My friend tries to sell me on Apple but I am a PC guy and Android now sort of reminds me of Linux 15-20 years ago.  I am thinking Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 because I like a stylus (used to be a Palm guy) but I don't really like the prices. Still I want one device that I can use as a phone but also a PDA/SmartDevice.

I am posting because I just don't know what my plan data info means.

Wi-Fi Data Only for Smartphones 

I guess this is saying only Smartphones can use WiFi?  If so that sort of seems like stating the obvious.  If it means something else I am not seeing it.

Pay Per Use rate of 1¢ / 5 KB for Basic/Messaging Phones only 

Does this mean I can only use data on a Basic/Messaging phone?

Or if I had something to access the internet at 3G it would be $2/MB?

I'm looking for clarification on those plan details.  I also wondered:

Can I just pop the SIM in a new AT&T branded device and go? 

The SIM Card I have says Cingular 3G.  I don't know much about locked phones and jailbreaking-- never hacked around with phones since old blueboxes in early 90s.  Essentially I am looking for a data plan like my phone plan.  Add megabytes rather than minutes for the year and get more if needed.  Mainly I would utilize free hotspots, but I want the ability to use cell towers if I am not in range of an access point.

I don't know what to call this.  I looked under add packages to my plan but only see messenging packages.  It seems that the only plans I can change to that say something meaningful about data (like Buy a Package $5 for 50 MB or Pay-Per-Use 1¢ / 5 KB) want me to change to a monthly plan, which sort of defeats the whole point of load and go so far as I'm concerned.  If I want to pay monthly then I would just get a regular rather than prepaid plan.

Supposing there is such a plan from AT&T, how do I upgrade my SIM card to a 4G one? 

Does the card even matter or is it just used to store account information to access the network and contact data? i.e. The device is what mainly matters in terms of access speed?

Thanks in advance to any that can shed some light here for me!

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Bumping this for lack of any response...

So perhaps the above questions are too dense?  I thought this would be the best forum to ask, but after a few days and no responses I am not so sure.

Can anyone point me to a better place to ask or if the lack of answers is due to the lack of these options with AT&T GoPhones, then perhaps another carrier that might offer data this way?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

WOW!  A lot of info with those questions. Anyway the best I can give you is my experience.         

Can I just pop the SIM in a new AT&T branded device and go?  I changed to a smartphone, from a basic phone.  NO the SIM card didn't fit. Had to call and give them the number on a new SIM card so the account could be updated to the new phone. Everything stays the same they just updated the phone info.

I guess this is saying only Smartphones can use WiFi?  As far as I know a basic phone will not have WiFi capabilities, so yes WiFi is only for a smartphone.

Does this mean I can only use data on a Basic/Messaging phone?

Or if I had something to access the internet at 3G it would be $2/MB? If you are saying you use the 10c per min. plan then right your data is only for a basic phone. Your text messaging will cost you 20c and the data you use will charge at the Pay Per Use rate of 1¢ / 5 KB.  If you have a devise that is 3G capable it will not work on the basic data plan. You can however use it any where you can get WiFi if it is WiFi capable.

Supposing there is such a plan from AT&T, how do I upgrade my SIM card to a 4G one? The phone is what is data speed capable, not the card.

Does the card even matter or is it just used to store account information to access the network and contact data? i.e. The device is what mainly matters in terms of access speed?  Correct

This is what I understand to be the correct answers to your questions.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.