For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
Darrel3000's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Sunday, March 3rd, 2019 3:38 AM

OHHH MY GAAAWWWD, AT&T TRIED TO DECRYPT MY PHONE, WHHHHHHYYYYYY?? UNACCEPTABLE...

i can't believe this happened.

ON FEB 11TH (i was in DC for a conference), AT&T forced the firmware update on my phone, I had no choice but to allow the update, I tried to stop it by turning off Wifi, but as soon as turned it back on the update continued, that in of itself was not the problem, what happened next is unbelievable, using my pin, AT&T went on to try and decrypt my phone! WHY? this was unsuccesful, so now there is a FORCED NOTICE TO FACTORY RESET MY PHONE, FORCED BY AT&T, i've tried to get past this forced reset via the boot menu but everything i'ved tried to no effect. each try it stops when the phone reaches teh AT&T logo. 

see pic below of the AT&T notice after they tried to decrypt my phone! more below. 

How can I reboot this phone to its previous state, and bypass the factory reset.? 

PHONE: ZTE MAVEN 3, bought at Walgreens, never activated with AT&T, USED OVER wIFI FOR 10 MONTHS then unlocked and activated with Tracfone/safelink service. 

YOU SHOULD ALSO KNOW: ZTE doesn't allow formatting SDcards as internal memory, so I found a workaround, I downloaded the APK files for many apps then installed them that way and they are stored on the SDcard. all but one of those apps was downloaded from "APKPure" which i have found to be trustworthy, never had any issues with those APK files. ZERO. some of the apps I downloaded include, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, Ebay, offereup, letgo, snapchat, more.

at&t message reset phone2 decrypt.jpgwhy?

H

1 Attachment

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

@Darrel3000 

You bought the phone BUT att and ZTE own the software you have a licence to use said software.   Att also says in the terms they have right to update said phone.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Darrel3000 wrote:

YOU SHOULD ALSO KNOW: ZTE doesn't allow formatting SDcards as internal memory, so I found a workaround, I downloaded the APK files for many apps then installed them that way and they are stored on the SDcard. 

I'm wondering if updates, especially if they update the encrypting, need to decrypt to update and the workaround broke something. As you know ZTE doesn't allow what you attempted.

all but one of those apps was downloaded from "APKPure" which i have found to be trustworthy, never had any issues with those APK files. some of the apps I downloaded include, USPS, UPS, FEDEX, Ebay, offereup, letgo, snapchat, more.

1) You don't know that those apps are working right, maybe they're stealing your data or doing something to prevent an update and broke it.

2) "All but one", it only takes one.

3) Of course, your phone OS knows your PIN, how would it work without knowing it?

This all seems overly dramatic about the decrypting and privacy, if my phone is encrypted, doesn't my OS need to decrypt it to show me e-mails, etc.?

You haven't demonstrated anything that shows that AT&T is invading your privacy.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

there is no reason for AT&T to decrypt my phone except to gain access to my data/information, decryption is a function of safety and security run by the OS=android, USING MY PIN NUMBER IS A VIOLATION OF MY PRIVACY, THEY MUST ASK FOR PERMISIION TO USE THAT AND TO DECRYPT THE PHONE, THIS IS AMERICA RIGHT? DO THESE CORPARATIONS HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN THE PEOPLE?

gARY,

LET ME ADD THAT i BOUGHT THE PHONE! THAT MEANS IT BELONGS TO ME, NOT at&t, once consideration is ACCEPTED, then there is immediate transfer of ownership, so YES they need my permission LEGALLY, to decrypt my phone and reduce the security features.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

5 years ago

It's a junk 39.99 phone go get another one.  Your not even using it on att so customer support is going to be limited.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

5 years ago

All boils down to this ⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️⬆️

Software isn’t yours and you agreed to use it within the limits set by ZTE.  

Find me a phone that isn’t encrypted 🙄

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

5 years ago

@Darrel3000 wrote:

there is no reason for AT&T to decrypt my phone except to gain access to my data/information, decryption is a function of safety and security run by the OS=android, USING MY PIN NUMBER IS A VIOLATION OF MY PRIVACY,

How is it a violation? You type it into your phone to use it every day.

THEY MUST ASK FOR PERMISIION TO USE THAT AND TO DECRYPT THE PHONE,

That's ridiculous, your phone has to give decrypted access to any app that needs data from the phone or needs to write to the phone, you wouldn't be able to use.

THIS IS AMERICA RIGHT? DO THESE CORPARATIONS HAVE MORE RIGHTS THAN THE PEOPLE?

NO, you gave them that permission.

Now I see where you're coming from...  (And it's not just the ALL CAPS).  

If you would have said that in the first post, I could have just moved on. 

LET ME ADD THAT i BOUGHT THE PHONE! THAT MEANS IT BELONGS TO ME, NOT at&t, once consideration is ACCEPTED, then there is immediate transfer of ownership, so YES they need my permission LEGALLY, to decrypt my phone and reduce the security features.

More CAPS!!!!!!

You're funny, you clearly don't read those agreements that you accepted when you first turned the phone on.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.