For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
vegeta13613's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, June 10th, 2013 11:53 PM

Need to Activate Phone When Upgrading?

I am sitting on a cellphone upgrade. I have a good friend that uses an ATT Go Phone, and he has been considering getting a fancier phone (mainly to use to play games he downloads while on wifi). Since I really don't need the upgrade (I love my current smartphone), can I just go in and pick up a sealed phone, then give it to him? Do I need to actually have the phone opened activated? I plan on doing this at Wal-Mart, so I would like to know if this would be possible there. If not, I could probably make the long drive to the nearest ATT store.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@vegeta13613 wrote:
Interesting... I have done some digging, and it sounds like I do not want to try this through Wal-Mart. Apparently they can charge you a steep fee if you do not keep the phone acrive on your account. I have also had more than one person suggest that if you ask them, ATT will just give you the sealed phone...

Any official word on ATT's policy on this?

The issue here is not the phone, it is the sim. When you upgrade, you get a new sim and it is that sim that needs to be activated. Once it is activated, the sim in your old phone is deactivated. If the new sim is the same size as the old sim, no problem, just take that new sim and put it in your old phone. However, depending on what new phone you get and what you currently have, they may not have the same size sim. Your best bet would be to go to an AT&T store and explain to them what you are trying to do. They should be able to give you the new phone without activating a new sim, thereby leaving your current phone "as is" and then you can do whatever you want with the new phone. Just realize you will be agreeing to a new 2 year contract and won't be elibigle for another upgrade for 2 years.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I don't know what the policies at Wal-mart are.  According to the one of the AT&T reps that have helped me, the reps have to at least make sure the phone works before you leave the store.  This hasn't always happened, but he told me that this is why those reps that helped me in the past are no longer at the store.  So you wouldn't be able to give the person a sealed device.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Interesting... I have done some digging, and it sounds like I do not want to try this through Wal-Mart. Apparently they can charge you a steep fee if you do not keep the phone acrive on your account. I have also had more than one person suggest that if you ask them, ATT will just give you the sealed phone...

Any official word on ATT's policy on this?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Excellent. Thanks for the help, Sandblaster and 21st!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.