For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Trade In and Get Rewarded!
rewnoz's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 3:09 AM

AT&T Next - Upgrade to a Nexus 6P/5X

My wife and I both currently have Galaxy Note 4's which as of this month are eligible for an upgrade on the Next 12 month plan.  We both are heavily leaning toward one of the new Nexus phones (6P or 5X).  If we go this route, are we able to trade in our current Note 4's to zero out the remaining balance once we manage to actually have the new Nexus phones in hand?  We are at the 12 month mark but there is still about 8 payments left until the balance is zero, wondering if trading in the current phone will eliminate it.

If not then am I correct in stating the only way to get out of the AT&T Next, if we want to buy a phone seperately like the new Nexus, is to not only pay for the Nexus but we also have to pay off the entire remaining balance on our current phones?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

The Nexus phones are not available through any carrier and so not Next upgrade eligible.  

You will have to buy the phones at full price

You can sell your current device, pay off your Next balance.  Whether or not you pay off the balance or continue paying monthly, makes no difference to ATT.   If you are going to sell the Note 4 it might matter to the buyer if they want an unlocked phone.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi there! @rewnoz

Thanks for posting your question. There may be multiple upgrade options for your Next phones.

To view these, please visit us at https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/upgrade-advantage.html and select the option for upgrade eligibility.

You will be prompted to log into your online account for these options.

Hope this helps!

Darren

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

you have to pay off your note 4's but you can pay them off like normal and still use the nexus 6p/5x.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

8 years ago

Actually, check out Project Fi through Google. They offer the Nexus 6P for $30/month for 24 months.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@apraetor

do the math on that phone.  24*30=720 the most expensive 6p with 128gb of storage is 649.00

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I Did Eacxtly as one of the post above said, I have 6 payments left i bought nexus 6p popped in the sim (AT&T) phone works fine in 6 months my bill will reduce by 30 bucks.also i,ll have backup phone will have at&t unlock it 

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

8 years ago

I can't find any offer for that, only the 5x.

Scholar

• 

419 Messages

8 years ago

But isn't that subscribing to their Cell Phone Service?

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Buy the phone from Google 

https://store.google.com/product/nexus_6p

I paid $500 with tax for the base model 32 GBs is not even close to full.  Amazon is also selling them now same price.  The 5x was $50 off on lightning deal last week.

If you want an idea of size and build quality, look at the iPhone 6S plus.  It's the same measurements and just as solid.  I bought cases on Amazon for $10

image.png

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@timbuk2okc wrote:

But isn't that subscribing to their Cell Phone Service?

Unless you use little to no data and are in a coverage area, Fi is not a good deal.   My family would pay more for data than we do now.   

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.