For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
shyg360's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, December 25th, 2015 10:16 PM

lumia 950 Firmware update

Does anyone know if the lumia 950 on at&t will be receiving the latest firmware update from Microsoft??? Thanks Merry Christmas

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

10586.36 has shown marked improvement in battery life, not just with the Lumia 950 XL, but all other Lumia devices that I have... 920, 1020, 640, 1520.

When Microsoft gets back from Holiday's it'll be interesting to see if the new firmware impacts battery life.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

If you have the AT&T version of the 950 then you may have to wait on AT&T Testing? that is a grey area I believe; how a firmware update to an AT&T phone will be handled. AT&T should be able to answer that.

Some here confuse firmware and OS updates - I am not syaing that you @shyg360 confuse the two. Firware updates will come much less frequently than OS updates.

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

8 years ago

a firmware upgrade would definitely require testing; but, it would be nice (just as a change of pace) for AT&T to actually provide an update to current users on the status. Being patient is fine, being left in the dark is quite another matter altogether....

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

I updated my Microsoft Lumia 950 XL firmware a couple of days ago. An advantage of having an unlocked phone I guess.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

Yelp unlocked is the way to go... Now some features may not work tho.
Volte being one of them.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

True but that can easily be addressed by at&t. As they are not currently allowing it; they hold the key. I understand another service provider may be offering VoLTE for the Lumia Phones.

Unfortunately for AT&T they’ll lose customers over things like this and it’s not just Lumia owners. I’ve had five phones on “at&t” since – for me - it was bell south mobility mid-90’s. Been a “mobile” Customer of a bell-at&t company since 1989; Bel Atlantic → Bell South Mobility --> Cingular → AT&T. Last week two phones were dropped off, new nexus phones purchased unlocked. Two phones are currently off contact and one with a year remaining on NEXT plan. One of those phones – mine – will always be an unlocked phone. The other two are still a question short-term; but long-term I know they will be unlocked users as well. Thus jumping to another service provider becomes easier. I spend too much money each month – was > $300 – to be limited. Others are in a similar situation and I expect more people will put themselves into a position to consider their options.

I’m not a hater of AT&T. I carry a businesses phone on that V-Network and happier with AT&T. Hated the S-Network when we were on it for business. I have no first hand experiences with the T-Network but I am now considering giving them a short-term try because of their costs being lower and maybe being more open to devices like the unlocked Lumia 950 XL.

The other two phones flew to Project Fi.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

I beta tested fi. Nice product if you dont mind tmo and Sprint towers.
And you don't use a ton of data. For me I would goto fi if they had a
family plan. I have plenty of nexus devices for the 6 lines.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Any from ATT on we see firmware update for the Lumia 950? I it been for unlocked 950 XL

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

My son's made the decision on Project Fi. I wouldn't go to it because of the use of Sprint which had the worst service - too many drops calls etc - of the big-three. But I admit, that was before LTE. They also had far less coverage.

But my boys hit the data the hardest. I could easily drop my data plan way down but... there is no cost advantage.

Guru

• 

673 Messages

8 years ago

if AT&T controls the release, which it looks like they do. based on all previous experience it could be a LONG-LONG wait.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.