For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
dazcrawford's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, February 7th, 2017 3:29 AM

ZTE Spro 2Android projector with Hotspot

I very recently bought the ZTE Spro 2 Android projector with Hotspot from AT&T.

There were a couple of options. Pay $99 with a 2 year contract or $500 (inc tax) to buy outright.

I took the sesond option with the belief from the rep in the store that when I recieve the item (non in stock at the store so it was shipped to me) I would be able to go to the website, insert the IMEI number and unlock the item.

Here is the link to unlock: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

I inserted the correct IMEI number but this is what comes up:

The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06#.

YES AT&T I know it is not a phone or tablet! its an android projector with a hotspot, that I purchased from you, but I still need the 'network unlock code' as this it was it says when I insert a different sim card to AT&T.

I have spent 3 hours on the phone with reps giving me all sorts of answers but none what I wanted to hear. In fact I was given 5 different answers.

Just give me the network unlock code! I paid for it! I own it! why are you holding me to your network? is this actually legal to do?

Please, do not tell me it cannot be unlocked as I have contacted ZTE direct, they informed me they are all unlocked when they leave the factory and taken to AT&T techs where they add some AT&T software along with locking it.

A human put the lock on it so a human can take it off.

So AT&T what is it going to be?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@dazcrawford wrote:

I very recently bought the ZTE Spro 2 Android projector with Hotspot from AT&T.

There were a couple of options. Pay $99 with a 2 year contract or $500 (inc tax) to buy outright.

I took the sesond option with the belief from the rep in the store that when I recieve the item (non in stock at the store so it was shipped to me) I would be able to go to the website, insert the IMEI number and unlock the item.

Here is the link to unlock: https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

I inserted the correct IMEI number but this is what comes up:

The IMEI you entered does not appear to be an AT&T wireless phone or tablet. Please re-enter the correct 15-digit IMEI number for your AT&T wireless phone or tablet. You can obtain the IMEI number from the wireless phone by dialing *#06#.

YES AT&T I know it is not a phone or tablet! its an android projector with a hotspot, that I purchased from you, but I still need the 'network unlock code' as this it was it says when I insert a different sim card to AT&T.

I have spent 3 hours on the phone with reps giving me all sorts of answers but none what I wanted to hear. In fact I was given 5 different answers.

Just give me the network unlock code! I paid for it! I own it! why are you holding me to your network? is this actually legal to do?

Please, do not tell me it cannot be unlocked as I have contacted ZTE direct, they informed me they are all unlocked when they leave the factory and taken to AT&T techs where they add some AT&T software along with locking it.

A human put the lock on it so a human can take it off.

So AT&T what is it going to be?

ZTE does lock the devices before att recieves them(it amazes me that other oems say the samething).  ATT also does not unlock hotspots or smartwatches.  The CTIA only states they have to provide codes for phones and tablets.  You can unlock the device thru a 3rd party and pay for the code.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Dear GLIMMERMAN76

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my predicament. I don’t know where you have got your information from regarding this, but unfortunately I believe you are wrong. 

The reason I say this is as I have spoken to ZTE direct, who informed me and as I agreed it is called a 'Network unlock code' for a reason. The network locked it. ZTE did not put any AT&T additional software on the product; this is done after it leaves the factory by AT&T. Yes I have seen on various websites that I can pay further to get this product unlocked, so if they can do it, so can AT&T. Why should I have to pay further to get what I have already paid $500 for? Also for your information I have copied and pasted a portion of what AT&T say.

GoPhone Support | Unlock GoPhone device

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1108214

Learn how to request an unlock code to allow your AT&T GoPhone, tablet, mobile hotspot, or other device to operate on another compatible wireless network.

As you can see quite clearly AT&T do unlock 'hotspots'. 

When another SIM card is inserted into the product the exact same message comes up as a locked cell phone. 'Please enter 'network unlock code'. 

Anybody else have anything to say regarding this situation?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Dear GLIMMERMAN76

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my predicament. I don’t know where you have got your information from regarding this, but unfortunately I believe you are wrong. 

The reason I say this is as I have spoken to ZTE direct, who informed me and as I agreed it is called a 'Network unlock code' for a reason. The network locked it. ZTE did not put any AT&T additional software on the product; this is done after it leaves the factory by AT&T. Yes I have seen on various websites that I can pay further to get this product unlocked, so if they can do it, so can AT&T. Why should I have to pay further to get what I have already paid $500 for? Also for your information I have copied and pasted a portion of what AT&T say.

Learn how to request an unlock code to allow your AT&T GoPhone, tablet, mobile hotspot, or other device to operate on another compatible wireless network.

As you can see quite clearly they do unlock 'hotspots'. 

When another SIM card is inserted into the product the exact same message comes up as a locked cell phone. 'Please enter 'network unlock code'. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@dazcrawford wrote:

Dear @GLIMMERMAN76

As you can see quite clearly they do unlock 'hotspots'. 

@dazcrawford

While att may say they unlock hotspots in the title t they DON'T I have been down that rabbit hole with them on on I had.  And with a smartwatch.

Do I think they should unlock your device yes I do.  I just know I have been told no to hotspot unlocking.  If you look lower on that page it says phone and tablets only.  There are no instructions for hotspots.  And the unlock page does not tell you that you have to wait 14 days to unlock a device in most cases.

Capture.PNG

As for att adding software ZTE is wrong...  ATT does not unpackage and lock every device when it is shipped to them(no carrier does)....  Its included in the ATT custom code that ZTE flashes to the device just like with other android oems.

1 Attachment

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

@dazcrawford

Your wrote ".....The reason I say this is as I have spoken to ZTE direct, who informed me and as I agreed it is called a 'Network unlock code' for a reason. The network locked it. ZTE did not put any AT&T additional software on the product; this is done after it leaves the factory by AT&T. ....."

So ZTE is contending that every device is removed from packing, reprogrammed to add a carrier lock, then repackaged and the box shrink wrapped or stickered closed whatever by AT&T?   

I suppose they told you ATT adds all the ATT specific apps and boot screen to all its phones after they are shipped too?   Does each store open all the shipments, or what?   

I smell bull poop from here, don't you?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi lizdance40

Welllllll great question, I can now reveal the outcome. After spending 4 hours on the phone with AT&T last week, a short conversation on the phone with ZTE, finally taking the ZTE Spro 2 back to the store with no joy. I decided to speak to AT&T tech support. I told the rep the whole story and low and behold she gave me the network unlock code. I tested it and can now use other sim cards. Bingo! 🙂

As I suspected AT&T had locked it. 

• 

25.7K Messages

6 years ago

I have had BOTH smartwatches (S3 gear) + ZTE devices projector unlocked via ATT previously.

Only recently ZTE unlocking is not available via ATT unlock site as they do not deal with ZTE any longer. That is why the error message shows up.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

I have had BOTH smartwatches (S3 gear) + ZTE devices projector unlocked via ATT previously.

Only recently ZTE unlocking is not available via ATT unlock site as they do not deal with ZTE any longer. That is why the error message shows up.

The gear 3 watches I had were not even locked...  The lg sport I had was not locked either.  And this whole ZTE mess with the US Gov is getting old.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.