For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
KRL-2015's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, March 25th, 2015 6:05 PM

Which phone for Mom?

Which cell phone would be best for my elderly mother?   Her old flip phone finally gave out!   I think she would enjoy texing perhaps and taking some photos but no data is required.   Her phone is only turned on "in an emergency" when they are in the car or on a trip away from home once or twice a year.   Which phone would best for her needs?   

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

if your on post paid service and want no data plan you cant get a smartphone as data plans are required.  I would just stick to a flipphone

ACE - Sage

• 

117.3K Messages

9 years ago

You might consider a "feature phone" with a qwerty keyboard.
My parents are 78 and 82 years old and I set my mom up with an iPhone 4S. The screen is small, the keyboard is really small, but she does manage to use it just fine.
She finds text a life saver if she is in a noisy area and can't hear on the phone well.

Last thought. If she relies on voice, many smart phones seem to have very poor voice quality. My mom puts hers on speaker to improve voice. Feature and flip phones have better voice quality.

Hope this hasn't muddied the waters.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

@KRL-2015 wrote:

Which cell phone would be best for my elderly mother?   Her old flip phone finally gave out!   I think she would enjoy texing perhaps and taking some photos but no data is required.   Her phone is only turned on "in an emergency" when they are in the car or on a trip away from home once or twice a year.   Which phone would best for her needs?   

That would depend entirely on your mom, her likes and her needs.  Of course her flip phone was only turned on when in the car or on a trip... it's a flip phone, not a smart phone, why would she leave it on while she's at home?  Does she own and use a computer?  If so, she may enjoy having a smart phone.  If not, then maybe she wouldn't want to use a smart phone. 

Make sure she's familiar with the features of a smart phone and ask her if she would like to have those features and does she think she would make use of them.  If she has no interest in texting, checking email, accessing the internet, etc., then she probably would have no desire to own a smart phone.

Bottom line, I know plenty of elderly people who use smart phones and wouldn't even consider going back to a flip phone.  I also know some younger people who are confirmed Luddites.  Talk to your mom, she's the only one who can tell you what she would like best.      

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

9 years ago

I recommended the iPhone to both my mother and grandmother because the software is user friendly and simple to navigate though, for basic usage. Some of the other functionality is more complicated such a Apple Pay, iCloud, App management and some more detailed settings; but these are not functions the they will use often if ever. Both of them now not only have the iPhone, but also iPads!
The iPhone is the most simple and easy to understand of devices to use for average everyday usage. The iPhone 5c is being offered now for 0.99 w/a 24 month contract. Set her up and send her on her way!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.