For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
erikthegreat's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 15th, 2007 4:06 AM

Closed

Nokia 6555 problems

I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

I've given up.  I am living with this peice of junk for now, but when my term is up, I'm switching over to Verizon (who REALLY has "more bars in more places" around where I live). I encourage everyone to bail out, unless AT&T proactively contacts you with an offer to immediately replace your 6555 with no questions asked.  That's the only way they'll ever keep me beyond the next few months.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Everything about ATT is difficult, rather than easy.  Wish I had known that all their ads are false (about more bars, warrenties....).  Even registering for this forum was difficult (it took 3 times before the system finally read my password correctly).

I have a 6555 that I bought new last June.  I had three criteria (strong signal reception for sending/receiving calls, strong volume, folding cover), and the ATT sales rep assured me that this phone met all my criteria.  It immediately had issues with poor sound quality, dropped calls, PTT button, no way to control the screen light, occasional screen upside down, occassionally resetting itself to default, inconsistent volume (even with the volume set at maximum), voicemails not being received when made, phone not ringing when calls received, and the phone getting hot, and battery charger connection loose.

I took it back to the ATT store within the 30-day period, but was told to wait two weeks because ATT was upgrading their system and that would probably resolve my issues.  I dutifully waited the two weeks and then returned to the ATT store because the problems still existed, I was told that they would not exchange the phone at the store because I needed to go through their warrenty department and I would have to call 611.  I called 611 and was told to call a different number from a different phone.  By that time I was outside the 30 day limit, but said they would exchange my problem phone for a new one.  I was also instructed to get a new battery from the ATT store (the tech department was out).  ATT refused to consider that I was outside the time limit because of their directions to me, which caused me to be outside that time limit.  Now it seems to me that those directions were a deliberate ploy to put me outside that time limit.

I received my "new" phone with a new sim card, went to the ATT store and got a new battery but within a day began to have identical issues.  Because ATT requires an inordinate amount of time to work through their warrenty system, it took a while for me to be able to set aside the required time to recontact their warrenty department.  I am now waiting on my 3rd phone and just learned that the "new" phones they exchange are not new at all - but refurbished returns - and when I questioned why they don't stand behind their warrenties, the sales rep said ATT is bound by Nokia policy.  But, from reading this thread, it seems that neither Nokia nor ATT stand behind their products, services and ads..... Very frustrating, disheartening and discouraging.  If ATT and Nokia were smart, they would take care of these issues appropriately.  Now I am among the growing number of people telling everyone that ATT and Nokia do not provide reliable services/products/warrenties.  If things don't change, when my contract is up I plan on switching to Nextel or Verizon, which are reliable according to family and friends who have left ATT and gone to those companies.

Message Edited by nancius on 01-04-2009 02:54:22 PM

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

15 years ago

For what it's worth, More bars in more places is true--if you're in Europe.  That's because the entire world outside of the US is on the GSM standard that AT&T uses (as does T-Mobile.  Unfortunately, Verizon and Sprint are on the CDMA standard, and since they have developed much more infrastructure in the US than AT&T has, their overall coverage in the US is vastly superior.

So there you have another knock on AT&T -- they are dropping the ball in developing infrastructure in the US; They have let Verizon and Sprint steal the march, which will ensure that the US cell phone climate will remain inferior for many, many years to come (Since Sprint and Verizon qalready have so much infrastructure invested, I suppose that would be until Sprint and Verizon get out of the business).

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

i am having identical issues with my 6555 where it will turn off at any moment, the batery is weak and will not hold a charge, and on top of it, i got the unlimited texting on my account becasue i am allways talking to my friends, but then, the first time it shut off, the whole phone reset and took allot of the functions like the calcualtor and stuff with it, allong with the whole instant mesanger client!!

if anybody knows any way to fix it, i  will have their babies. i think i might just go to the service center and try to get a new/difrent phone

i think that will all of the issues that happen with this phone that att should really think about a recall. this phone is cheap, and does not work!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I had this phone also and had the same problems. It would randomly shut off in all different situations. The battery doesnt hold a charge well at all it was always dying on me. Also when the phone would die or if it is was shut of manually it would reset to defaults. Like the default ring tone and the default background. so I usually just had it on vibrate. Also it will randomly not send or recieve texts or calls and id have to turn the phone off and on to get it to work. I evenutally got a replacement bc this was all within the year but that phone started doing the same things. And the poeple at the store all act like they dont know what you are talking about.

I recently got the LG Shine, unfortunatly it got water damage but before it did I noticed it shut off a few times. And I have seen some other complaints about this happening to others. I constantly get bad phones, and i dont know if its just at&t phones or cell phones in general. Does anyone have the samsung blackjack II? Is that a good phone? Or could you suggest a phone that doesnt seem to have all these problems. I really loved the shine but im afraid to purchase it again if its just going to give me problems anyways. : ( 

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

Hey there, did any of you get resolution to this power off problem?

I did! post again if you still having the problem, if theres enough people I'll create a document to explain how to fix it.

Thanks 

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

15 years ago

After seven months with my 6555 I have to say that I'm glad I kept it. I've have not had any major/deal breaker issues with my phone even tho its obvious many who have posted here have. I just thought I would add a little positiveness on the side of the 6555.

Something strange but good did happen to the phone twice now. You all may not believe me but neither did I until it happened the second time. I dropped my phone, ok no big deal there right? Well, shortly afterwards I realized that I had no sound at all no matter what I did. Although the vibrate function still worked I figured this would be where I would have to part with my 6555 to a new phone. Low and behold, I don't know how but the sound started working again after about an hour. Ok that was a strange but a welcome thing since I saved myself the money and the hassle of a new phone purchase. Ok, all is well until about a month latter I drop my phone again and this time even chip a part of the plastic off of it. Silly me. I had no sound again. I thought surely I couldn't be fortunate enough for the phone to mysteriously fix itself TWICE? After about an hour......the sound returned again and my 6555 is a keeper till this day!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I have been having the smae problems with my Nokia 6555 shutting down in the middle of calls of texting etc.  I can live witht he low battery life if it would just stop shutting down all the time.  One night it shut down 5 times! I've been searching for any problems and finally found this site.  Quite well hidden I might add.  I've read about a lot of the problems and I am now trying the battery idea of shoving something in there to tighten the battery up.Hopefully it will work.  If not my boyfriend is getting a new Samsung in a few weeks and I will take his old Samsung that is not as pretty but reliable and works quite well. Maybe if we keep trying we can figure something out.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

The fact that this phone automatically turns itself off seems to be a common problem.  Looking not only in this forum but also in a google search, it seems like most of the people who have this phone must have run into this problem.  Mine worked fine for the first few months but began turning itself off a few days ago. It seems like this is a major defect in the phone and it seems like a recall from Nokia and/or AT&T would be in order.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I have 3 of these phone (wife, daughter, son), all started showing same problem, randomly shutting off and poor battery life. I fixed all three, with relative ease and no more problems. If enough people are interested in the fix I will create a document showing how to fix it.

It will take me some time, which I have very little of, but if it will help enough people, I will do it... I do not work for ATT or Nokia, I simply bought these phones like the rest of you and figured out how to fix the problem. 

{Please do not post personal information on the forums}

Message Edited by IanSee on 01-25-2009 07:45:26 PM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.