For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
erikthegreat's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, December 15th, 2007 4:06 AM

Closed

Nokia 6555 problems

I have a Nokia 6555 and it periodically shuts off on me and takes forevor to return also when i plug it into the charger it will repeatedly stop and start charging and it never fully charges and won't hold it's charge a lot.  If somebody could let me know how to fix it or how to get it fixed i'd appreciate it thanks.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

16 years ago

I definitely agree with those of you who say the Nokia 6555 is a piece of junk. It is definitely the worst cell phone I have ever used.  Sure it is a nice size and gets decent reception, but the battery life is terrible and getting worse every day, there needs to be a way to disable the PTT button and I really wish I could use mp3s as ring tones instead of having to use Nokia's software to produce a short clip at a slow sampling rate in a certain format.  Another issue is that the outer LCD is relatively unprotected.  Carry the phone in your pocket and you will soon have a big black area in the middle of the outer LCD.

I think the biggest issue I have is the Internet service.  The CV service is mostly unusable (keeps going back to buffering), but that's likely AT&T's network, not the fault of the phone.  I have had times when my battery shows full strength but after 5 minutes of browsing I'm getting low battery notices.  Many times after browsing, about 30 minutes later the phone is hot and the battery is just about dead because of some issue with the service.  I returned the first phone for that reason, my second one has been doing it since I got it.  I'm not sure if I can hold out until June when I'm eligible to get a new phone or if I will end up buying something else on E-Bay.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

16 years ago

You can use MP3s as a ringtone. They just have to be under 300 KB.

And the battery life hasn't been an issue on my 6555 - and I'm using a smaller capacity battery on mine to stop it from shutting down so often. The PTT key gets irritating after a while, since I'm not wasting $20/mo for PTT on our FamilyTalk plan when we only have 2 devices that can use it. Besides, what's the point if all your friends have non-PTT phones?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

16 years ago

Dang!  I wish I had read this forum first!  In August, the screen on my phone cracked, so I went in to the AT&T store to see what could be done.  I was within a month of contract expiration, so I signed up for a 2-year extension in order to get a big discount on a replacement phone.  the salesman heavily recommended the 6555, so that's what I got (there is no real way to compare different phone models without actually using each one for a few weeks).

I've been unhappy from the get-go.  The stupit PTT button keeps getting pushed accidently, and I am forever having to tell it that I am not interested in activating this extra-cost "feature" (yeah, right).  My battery life is about 1/5 of the battery life in my previous phone.

Then, the final icing on the cake, in October, my partners voted to buy a wonderful cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains.  Unfortunately, there is no AT&T coverage there (or even within a 20-minute drive), although my partners all get very strong signals on their Verizon LG phones.

If I had seen this forum first (who knew?), I'm certain that I would have told AT&T goodbye and gone over to Verizon.  I originally signed up with Cingular more than 6 years ago, because I got a cheaper deal, but I'm now officially fed up with them.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

16 years ago

I just bought the Nokia 6555 a couple of weeks ago and it was shutting off all the time.
So, I realized that when I shook the phone quickly it shut off immediately.  Doesn't
matter if the phone is fully charged or not.  I'm on about 24 hours now and the phone
hasn't shut off yet....I may have fixed it.  I took a small piece of paper, about 1/2 inch
long and folded up until it was about 4 or 5 paper thicknesses and shoved it between
the top of the battery (edge closest to the hinge) and the edge of the battery containment
area.  What was happening is that the copper leads that take the power from the battery
are not contacting the battery too well.  The battery needs to be pushed down into the
leads more to make better contact.  Good luck.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

One week ago I got a free 2610 bar phone on a Saturday. Made a call to customer service that afternoon about setting up some options. The next day the phone started to cut out and drop calls. It left a voice mail for one call and the phone never rang. Called customer service on Monday for problem, advised it didn't matter that the phone was inexpensive or not the network was the same. I was advised to take phone back to ATT store for new sims card. Tuesday same thing customer service said get a new phone (again new sims card was installed). Thursday afternoon calls breakup after maybe 5 - 10 minutes on a call then I lose the call. Went back on Friday morning grudging with warning that this was the last phone they would replace (2 was the limit and they were doing me a favor). I by-passed a free phone because two women in the customer service said that the better the quality the stronger the signal. I put my $100 payment on my charge had a knot in my stomach because I was really worried about getting stuck with this phone now. The salesman handed me the phone and said there should be no reason I would have problems because I greatly upgraded the phone. HE SAID THAT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE!! I went home made a call as I was entering my garage and as I got into the house I lost the call. I called customer service on Friday afternoon and she assured me that maybe it was in need of being charged fully and she'd call me Saturday. Well, she called about 6 PM while I was at another location with no problem. She instructed me on how to get my serial number and said that it hadn't been registered and operating off a network my old original phone of almost 5 years (free bar phone at that time). My husband still has his exact phone that operates off the same network in the same house and his is crystal clear, not a problem. This has been part of my frustration being told that the network may not work in my house I know the darn thing does. Why have 3 phones 2-#2610s and 1-#6555 all in one week decide not to work in my house.

I'm no tech wiz but I did go and reset the settings thinking I may have turned something on that wasn't supposed to be. I also saw where one person tightened up the battery for a better connection, but could it have been loose in three phones?

At this point I have contacted my charge company to dispute the charges. They will investigate the purchase. The customer service people have been very polite and each time I think the problem is solved and then get more furious that it's solved. I have even tried to find something that has changed in my home that would interfere with the signal and everything is the same.

I hope someone could shed some light on this but reading the other posts in the forum doesn't give me much hope.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

Believe me, I wish I would have seen this sooner.  Not only is the phone a piece of junk but when you try to resolve the issue with AT&T you only get more frustrated.  I upgraded my service and got this phone on September 26 so I have only had this phone a short time.  My problem occurs atbout 50 % of the time when I make a call.  When I call someone I do not hear the phone ring or the anyone picking up the phone.  They can hear me but I can not hear them.  I took my phone into the local store once and got a replacement.  The second time fell under the warrenty claim so they contacted claims.  After several people and over an hour of frustration.  And I do mean total frustration.  They started out by offering to replace the phone with the same phone.  I wanted no part of another go round with this phone so I requested to to move up the ladder.  I continued moving up with no results.  They evenually wanted me to pay $ 75 dollars for a new phone and they credit my account $ 35 which was un acceptable.  They finally told me that they would give me a $ 55 dollar credit to my account if I would  account for another month.  Sound like a great way to treat your longtime customer doesn't it.  For a $ 20 dollar difference they are taking a chance that I won't cancel my phone service.  What a great business model to copy.  The customer rep at the AT & T store couldn't believe they would fix this problem.  I mean come on AT & T, after reading the reviews on your web site, why do you still offer this phone.  So in conclusion I took the $ 55 and told them if my phone is still not working correctly in one month I will probable cancel my service.  The $ 55 will help defer the $ 175 cost of canceling my account while under contract.  Because we all know they can't fix my phone is they don't have it.  Wake up AT & T, you are losing customer with the quality of service you are providing after the sale.  If you need someone to give you advice on how to treat people, you can reach me in the near future on my Verizon phone. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

ATT WILL REPLACE YOUR NOKIA 6555 WITH NOKIA 6650 IF UNDER 1 YEAR WARANTY
I purchased a Nokia 6555 in early June, and fresh out of the box it didn't work. I had to wait a week for them to get in a new one. After a few months having the phone i started experiencing problems-Way to many too list. Called them up, and they sent me a replacement Nokia 6555-it didn't work. Called them up again, they sent me a new phone, and it didn't work. So after the 4th phone i was a little (ha ha) frustrated. A friend used to have the same phone, but when i last saw her I noticed she had a new model. She said she had two replacements and they finaly swapped it out for the Nokia 6650. She says the phone is very comparable-only it actually works. Today i called ATT (I have the warranty phone # memorized by now) and they are sending me the Nokia 6650 free of charge in return for the discontinued Nokia 6555. I'll wait and see.

On a side not, in case you hadn't noticed, ATT only carried the nokia 6555 for 6 or so months...i wounder why.

Hope this helps.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

15 years ago

I signed up with AT&T in June of this year and chose the 6555 as my phone. I had to warranty it a month later because it began turning it self off. Two weeks ago the ear piece began cutting out while in the middle of a call. Warranted it and the replacement, on the day I got it, would not copy my contacts off of the SIM. I called CS and told them I wanted a different phone NOW. I just received the 6550 today as my replacement. Absolute garbage. I do not like the 6550 styling as much but if it is reliable...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I am on my 4th Nokia 6555 for the same reason - shutting down for no apparent reason.  In the middle of conversations, with full battery and good signel - I hate the phone and when I call customer service, all I get is another phone of the same model.  I want another style phone!!  Everyone I know that has this phone has the same problems.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

After 3 they will give you a different model. You have to request/demand it. They have limited choices, but my daughter got a new one adn is much happier. And I know, I am the one who started this thread.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.