Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Troubleshoot your device issues
etbrammy's profile

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, April 2nd, 2016 10:41 PM

MMS settings on cheap Chinese-made cell phone

Hello,

I live in the US, and, recently, I purchased a phone for around $50 imported from China. It's a KR999 brick phone.  I have it connected via AT&T's GoPhone service. I can text and make calls perfectly fine, but I am encountering problems with multimedia messages. When I am sent one, it appears in my inbox, but when I try to download it, it never moves past 0% and then says it failed to download. 

Looking into settings, I found the following information from AT&T here and here
Program 12-key or Quick Messaging device data settings
Programming options are usually located in the network settings menu. Refer to your user guide or contact the device manufacturer for assistance programming your device using the settings below.

Cellular Data/Internet Access MMS
Mobile Internet http://device.home Gateway wireless.cingular.com
Protocol HTTP Port 80
Proxy Address wireless.cingular.com:80 MMSC/Server address http://mmsc.cingular.com
Proxy Port 8080 Connect via Mobile Internet
Linger time/time out 300 Send Limit 600k
Service Name
MMS 
User ID Leave blank
Password Leave blank

(sorry the chart come out a little funky. Check out https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/wireless/KM1062162 to see the original)

In the phone's MMS settings, there is a set of server profile settings, where it is possible to store 10 profiles. The first four are preconfigured for China Mobile MMS, Vodafone_MMS, airtel_MMS, and reliance_MMS. The other 6 are available for use.

You have 6 options when editing Server profiles. The first is "Renaming Profile" which allows for text input of the name that appears on the profile list. Second, is "MMSC URL", another text input option where you enter the server's url. Third is "Data Account", which takes you to some sort of strange list. Fourth is "Connection Type", which allows you to choose between "WAP" or "HTTP". Fifth is a text input option titled "User Name" and Sixth is a text input titled "Password".

Currently, the profile name is "MMS", which I put in based off of "Service Name" in the AT&T chart above. The MMSC URL is set as "http://mmsc.cingular.com" from the above chart. These two settings are pretty straight forward and I don't believe them to be the issue. 

Looking at the "Data Account" there are ten uneditable options. Highlighting each one shows a little more information about them. The first is "CM WAP" which shows "cmwap" when highlighted. Second is "CM NET" showing "cmnet". Third is "CHT GPRS" showing "emome". Fourth is "TWN GPRS" showing "mms". Fifth is "Vodafone_GPRS" showing "portalnmms". Sixth is "Airtel Mobileoffice" which shows "airtelgprs.com". Seventh is"RELIANCE_GPRS" showing "rcomwap". Eighth is "Vodafone_MMS" showing "portalnmms". Ninth is "AIRTEL_MMS" showing "airtelmms.com". And tenth is "RELIANCE_MMS" showing "reliancemms". Currently, I have it set to "TWN GPRS", but I have no idea if this is correct or not.

When you select "WAP" from the list, you have to enter an IP address and select whether to turn security on or off. If you select "HTTP" it asks for a "Proxy Address" and a "Proxy Port". I have the port set to 80 based on what is in the chart, but I have no clue what to use for the Proxy Address.

Username and Password options have been left blank as per the AT&T instructions.

Any help or advice anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I had just got it working a bit before you posted this, so I haven't been checking. 

I ended up finding settings off of some forum or other that worked beautifully.

Also, I found the Data Account settings. They were in a completely different section of the phone. To access them, you need to go from Organizer --> Services -->Data Account. You will then be asked to choose between GSM Data and GPRS. I honestly don't know the difference between the two, as they both take you to the exact same list of Data Account profiles. From the list, you can choose and edit the settings.

Server Profile settings can be found under Messages --> MMS --> Message Settings --> Server Profile. Then you will choose which SIM card you are editing, SIM 1 or SIM 2. Pick whichever one your ATT SIM is in. Then, pick one of the preinstalled profiles and select Edit Profile.

Anyone else that has this problem should be advised to set their settings as follows:

(In Data Account settings)

Account Name: ATT

APN: wap.cingular

User Name: (leave blank)

Password: (leave blank)

Auth. Type: Normal

(In Server Profile settings)

Rename Profile: ATT

MMSC URL: http:\\mmsc.cingular.com

Data Account: ATT

Connection Type: HTTP

-Proxy Address: 066.209.011.032

-Proxy Port: 80

User Name: (leave blank)

Password: (leave blank)

After you have set the settings, make sure to activate the profile!

Thanks again, Hope this will help someone else.

Community Support

• 

15.2K Messages

8 years ago

Hi there @etbrammy!

Thanks for posting your concerns. I’m sorry to hear you’re having issues with MMS.
Very cool retro looking phone, by the way. J

The proxy address should be wireless.cingular.com:80

As long as everything on the (here) site are set correctly for Quick Messaging devices on the MMS table, it should work fine.

I would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer to see if there’s a way to edit out the other settings, as these are likely to be causing the problem.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Tony AT&T Social Media Manager

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Besides, judging by the extremely poor translation of the instruction manual, I doubt the manufacturer would be able to help me in a way I would understand.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.