For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
SaltyPug's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, March 20th, 2018 4:05 PM

Is it worth getting a booster for my ZTE MF279?

I recently got a ZTE MF279 for my home internet service. I have been very happy with it so far. I'm averaging 26Mb/s down and 2.1 Mb/s up. The MF279 is giving me a reading of -111 to -113 dBm and 2 of 4 bars, but when I put my phone in the same area I'm getting around -101 dBm on average and 4 of 5 bars. If I were to get a cell booster/antenna and improve the dBm on the MF279 would that potentially improve the download or upload speed or just improve the signal? If I would see a possible performance bump from it I would consider it, but otherwise I will stay with it as it is, since it is already way better than the DSL I was using before. Thanks in advance for any help or insight you can offer.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

A booster would not improve speed.  Speed is a function of tower out put and congestion, not reception.  

If you have a poor connection for data and calls a booster would reception and connection.  

You don’t indicate your dropping data connection.  

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Still looking for some feedback, if anyone has any. Thanks!

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, there is no issue with the connection being dropped that I have seen, so it sounds like there is no need to add a booster unless that becomes an issue. 

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

👍🏼  

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

6 years ago

Interestingly enough when I checked my signal last night I'm now at 4 out of 4 bars and -79 dBm. Download speeds remain in the 26Mb/s range, but upload speeds have really increased. My ping has also dropped from around 69 to 39. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

6 years ago

That’s a great connection!   Keep testing.  You may find bad weather or prime time hours effect your results. 

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

I have the older 1100 Homebase and was considering upgrading to the MF 279. My 1100 has recently begun to show 5 bars yellow most of the time. I believe something has degraded my signaI out here in the country. I was able to pick up 2 different towers when I bought the Homebase but now every indication is that I am only able to pick up one. I am doing some signal checks right now to confirm my suspicions.

I have a very old zBoost YX545 which I decided to plug in and try with the Homebase. To my surprise it gives me a consistent 5 bar green signal again. I guess I will hang on to all my old stuff and hope it works until 5G gets to the boondocks.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

6 years ago

Hi

I noticed there are caps on the MF279 case that can be removed to install 2 antennas. Can I purchase antennas somewhere? Now my signal is good but someday I might need better antennas.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

I am planning to try an external antenna first in my situation. I have a
good signal on my screened in porch. My old 700 works well out there but I
am sure moisture will get to it sooner than later. I moved it back to my
bay window until Florence decides to leave the Carolinas. That cut my MBPS
from 24 to about 12.

There is a good discussion in the AT&T forum:
External Antenna for the Home Phone Internet MF279
It gives information on connectors needed too. There are also some videos
out there from people off the grid and RV owners that needed better
reception.
I used my Apple Mini 2 to map signal and speed at various locations in and
around my house. I found I have good signal strenghth in several areas but
the best tower is southwest of me.
I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I have one or two bars where I live. Adding the booster gave me full bars and my speed did increase substantially. I suppose because my reception did. So I guess it depends on your original signal. I bought the mf279 because I can screw my booster / antenna cable right into the back and it made a big difference.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.