For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Mtmccoy's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, August 13th, 2017 2:44 PM

Fixed Wireless Internet data use

Good morning. I recently had AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet installed and it is working very well. Because I have a data cap, I have been monitoring my usage through the AT&T Mobile App, which shows daily usage. This morning I noted that I had used 1.75 gb of data on 8/13/17, even though all my devices were either shut off or asleep well before midnight, with no apps left running. My question is: why I am seeing usage recorded with no demand?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Yes. As noted, data reporting is not real time. The actual data usage could be from many hours to several days prior. Usage is typically reported within 3 hours but not always. You should be on the same tower for your home usage, so your data reporting should be fairly consistent.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

7 years ago

Data is not reported at the moment used.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the response. To clarify, this morning at 7am my recorded use for the day was 1.75 gb. I actually had no devices in operation since about 11pm the previous day. So, a delay in recording use means the 1.75 gb may have been from the previous day?

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Mtmccoy Up to 72 hours later (longer if roaming). It's usually sooner, but it can be.

Your phone has a meter on it where you can track usage. I've been comparing at the end of the month religiously for about 12 months now and it's always within a few percent, usually to my benefit.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Mtmccoy wrote:
Good morning. I recently had AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet installed and it is working very well.

Do you mean HOME internet? Like with a wire?

Or a WHPI, Wireless Home Phone Internet box?

What is your fixed limit?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Neither. I have AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet, a program introduced in June 2017 for rural areas under a government program. It uses a roof mounted microwave antenna to connect with an AT&T cell tower. Line of sight is necessary and it is producing speeds averaging 30 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up. It has produced as low as 10 down and as high as 50+ down. The program has a 160 gb/month cap, with an overage charge of $10/50 gb.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Mtmccoy wrote:

Neither. I have AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet, a program introduced in June 2017 for rural areas under a government program. It uses a roof mounted microwave antenna to connect with an AT&T cell tower. Line of sight is necessary and it is producing speeds averaging 30 Mbps down, 10 Mbps up. It has produced as low as 10 down and as high as 50+ down. The program has a 160 gb/month cap, with an overage charge of $10/50 gb.

I had not heard of this. That's some nice speeds.  What's the cost of that plan?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

The cost is $70 per month with no contract, $60 per month with a one-year contract, or $50 per month with a one year contract and bundling. This program is sponsored by the FCC Connect America Fund. Google "AT&T Fixed Wireless Internet" for more  information. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Mtmccoy Interesting!  http://about.att.com/story/first_wave_of_fixed_wireless_internet.html

Just out of curiosity, did you try cellular internet?

They've let you put hotspots on the unlimited plans since March  (which seems to be better than the cellular WHPI plans).

Obviously the distance to the town is important, but we know you have line of sight to one!

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

7 years ago

Didn't try a hotspot because on balance this new system seems to offer much better speeds and consistency for the price. I have no contract so if it doesn't pan out, I can look at another option. We're not power users so 160 gb/month is probably okay. We previously had satellite internet (Exede) which was great as long as there were no other options, but very expensive and slow with very low data caps.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.