For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Smurfette27's profile

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

Sunday, February 8th, 2009 1:49 AM

Closed

Blackberrys data and mms and the Pearls?

Okay. I'm confused. I understand that other providers have a mandatory data package for specific phones. Blackberries included.

To my knowledge att only requires a data plan for the iphone.

Would I need to add a data plan to mms with the blackberry devices?

I know someone who has a pearl and they tell me that they cannot mms on their device. They would have to add a data package to do so. It would not be covered under hte unlimited messaging plan as it is for all other phones.

The Pearl doesnt even have an icon to send mms. I'm lost....

Accepted Solution

Professor

• 

517 Messages

15 years ago

With newer operating systems on the Pearl and Curve I have been able to send and receive MMS without a data plan. The older OS's did not allow this. You can get the newest AT&T OS for your BB device here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

15 years ago

@Smurfette27 wrote:

Okay. I'm confused. I understand that other providers have a mandatory data package for specific phones. Blackberries included.

To my knowledge att only requires a data plan for the iphone.

Would I need to add a data plan to mms with the blackberry devices?

I know someone who has a pearl and they tell me that they cannot mms on their device. They would have to add a data package to do so. It would not be covered under hte unlimited messaging plan as it is for all other phones.

The Pearl doesnt even have an icon to send mms. I'm lost....

The Pearl doesn't support data pay per use. So you don't have to have a data plan but if you want to send or recieve MMS(as they use data to send and recieve) you have to have a data plan. Where with the iPhone even if you only want to make phone calls and nothing else you still have to get the data plan.

Scholar

• 

397 Messages

15 years ago

@Dream Rider wrote:
With newer operating systems on the Pearl and Curve I have been able to send and receive MMS without a data plan. The older OS's did not allow this. You can get the newest AT&T OS for your BB device here https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=577BCC914F9E55D5E4E4F82F9F00E7D4

This is correct. I forgot about the update. Thanks Rider good to know you have my back lol

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

So, if I have a Curve with AT&T and no data plan will these updates fix the mms issue?  If so, which download is it, there are several options on updates even after you select your particular device... I have the Curve 8310... advice would be very much appreciated, thank you!!!

Mentor

• 

69 Messages

15 years ago

www.att.com/bbdownloads

download desktop manager 4.6 and install it, then go back to the website and select your device, and then select 4.5 multilanguage and download and install on the computer.  then hookup the bb to the pc, cancel the updates available box that will come up, go to the application loader, and click update applications.  then let it finish.  If you have problems or need assistance with this, please contact AT&T Data Support.

FYI, without a DATA Plan, MMS is not guaranteed or supported on blackberrys, smartphones/pda's.  Also if it does work, watch out for internet pay per use charges, as mms uses data, even if you have a family message plan.  my friend ended up with about 50.00 one month from that.  AT&T will credit, but is just a hassle.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

Perfect, thank you very much.  We have an unlimited messaging plan and I was not charged for MMS on my old samsung (not a smartphone) is it possible that with the switch to the BB that the charges for mms could change?  Sorry for all the questions, I appreciate the help!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.